Chapter 16

"Are you coming?" Lisa called out from the distance.

Several hours had passed since the unexpected events by the stream occurred. After they washed up, got dressed, and walked back to the camp in complete silence, none of them dared to bring up the topic ever again. The atmosphere around them grew slightly confusing. They didn't know what to say, do, or what awaited them after everything that happened.

Lisa was sure Jennie would continue to pursue her, especially after she found out the lieutenant still kept the same old feelings for her. The brunette's visible determination meant that she wouldn't give up so easily and Lisa didn't know if that made her happy or completely terrified her fragile heart.

She wondered if things would ever go back to normal if their relationship progressed further once again, if they would be just like before. Was it possible after everything Jennie did? Could Lisa love her wholeheartedly again despite the flame of betrayal that still burned inside of her? Those were questions without clear answers.

"I can't do it!" Jennie whined from her place by the fire, refusing to get up and follow Lisa into the jungle after the lieutenant suggested teaching her how to hunt.

"Of course you can. We need food, real food. We can't live off snack bars and fruits until we find safety. We need meat, a good protein and energy source. Get up, come on" Lisa squeeze the now-finished spear into her hand as she tapped the ground with her foot impatiently.

"I can't go and stab an innocent animal, this is just so cruel! I may even throw up the little I have in my stomach"

"This is the wild, Jennie. As you said, we are in a battle of survival. It's either us or them. We need that food and it will be a useful skill for you to learn in case something happens in the future and I'm not there to help"

Jennie groaned. "Can't you just go do it alone?"

"I can, but whatever I catch will be for me only" Lisa smirked.

The brunette was just about to make a comeback with a sassy reply when her stomach complained with a loud grumble. She blushed in embarrassment and glared at Lisa evily. "Asshole" she muttered before jumping to her feet and passing by her, catching the lieutenant's genuine giggle from behind.

They walked between the thick vegetation for some long minutes, the blazing sun glaring upon them between the tree crowns mercilessly. They paid attention to any small movements, the rustling of leaves, or strange noises that could hint them about the location of potential prey. Lisa suddenly halted her steps, causing Jennie to bump into her back once again.

"Can you stop with that, for God's sake?!" she scolded.

"Shhh" Lisa quickly shushed her while trying to concentrate on a slight noise her cautious ears caught. "Do you hear that?"

Jennie's eyes immediately widened. "I'm having a deja vu right now and I'm not liking it at all," she said with a trembling voice as she shook her head slowly and looked around in slight panic.

"No, no, I didn't mean it like that" Lisa calmed her down. "I think I heard a snake somewhere around here"

"Oh, great. Because a potentially huge poisonous snake is so much better than a beasted jaguar" Jennie laughed in her panic.

"Never said it was, but it will be a lot easier to catch since it's smaller" the lieutenant looked around the undergrowth by their feet and inspected the nearest tree for the reptile.

"You want me to hunt a snake!? Are you crazy?" Jennie protested.

"Of course not" Lisa chuckled. "I'll catch it to show you how it's done first, then it's your turn"