It Begins

There are only a few things in this world more nauseating than vomit, and DreVille County was about to learn that one of those things lived freely in a human body.

It started off as a normal day, it was business as usual at the police station.

Paperwork scattered all over the different desks, the smell of coffee and donuts wafted through the bustling atmosphere as the officers went about their day.

Of all the detectives, three were renowned for being the best of the best.

Giovani Grande, Bruce Davenport and David Cress were the dynamic trio, there used to be four of them but one was tragically lost.

They were capable of almost anything when united, always getting the best cases; the most horrible ones, just like the case they were about to face.

The scene at DreVille High School that day was nothing unusual as well.

The entire student body was moving towards the school's exit after another gruelling day of education.

In the middle of the chaotic atmosphere, a tight-knit group of friends were taking the same routine as they'd done the last few years together.

Alex Stark, Larry Brighton, Paul Diaz, Mia Larsson, Camila Glavas and Macy Westwood, all in their senior year, best friends, none of them single.

Their lives were never easy.

Alex and his little sister Isabela (Izzy, as her friends called her) were kids of a single mother, and he always felt it was his responsibility to protect his mom and his little sister since he was the man in the house.

In his freshman year, he asked Mia Larsson out on a date and started a beautiful relationship with her that same year.

Larry's parents were never at home, so he practically lived at Alex' since his house was close by.

He'd been in love with Macy Westwood for as long as he could remember. He won her heart in junior year and found happiness in her company.

She was always there for him, effectively filling the void his parents left.

Macy never knew her birth parents, she was brought up in an orphanage before getting adopted by a kind couple who brought her to America from the Philippines.

Paul's father, Roberto Diaz was the fourth man in the renowned strike team consisting of David Cress, Bruce Davenport and Giovani Grande. Paul was only 8 years old when he witnessed his father die in devastating fashion at the hands of a revenge-seeking ex-convict.

After the tragedy, Paul developed a tight bond with Giovani Grande, his godfather, since the detective had been one of his dad's best friends.

His mother fell into depression for years until she met (and eventually got engaged to) William Silko, who seemed kind and funny, as close to perfect a stepfather could get.

Paul's girlfriend, Camila Glavas was the genius, fairly known as the nerd.

Just like her boyfriend, Camila lost a parent at a tender age, her mother died of cancer and it would've broken her had it not been for her father who showered with the love and attention of a thousand parents. She started dating Paul when they turned 17, a year ago.

"Have you seen Paul?" Camila asked as she walked alongside Larry and Alex.

Alex shrugged. "He was late to Maths class so Mrs Tickens wouldn't let him in. I haven't seen him since."

And then Paul appeared, beaming as usual, hiding something behind his back.

"Where have you been?"

Paul said nothing, he just gave Camila what he was hiding; flowers he'd picked from the school garden.

"You skipped class just to get your girlfriend some flowers?" Alex looked amused.

Camila smiled and hugged him "I like them, but don't disappear like that again."

They were jolted as loud hoots and booming boyish laughter erupted from behind them.

Paul put his arm around Camila protectively as the jocks walked past them shamelessly eyeing his girlfriend.

Despite the common stereotype regarding nerds, Camila was undoubtedly the prettiest girl in school, she'd inherited her father's Italian charm and her mother's Latina curves and her figure could not be hidden no matter how modestly she dressed.

Larry rolled his eyes.
"Ignore them, but seriously, Paul, where were you after getting the flowers? I mean, you missed a whole hour of class."

"Since I had nothing else to do, I fell asleep at the gym, until the janitor kicked me out. Anyway, what did I miss?"

"Second grade equations." Camila pipped "Not too difficult, actually pretty easy."

The boys rolled their eyes.

If it were up to Camila Glavas, all equations would be labelled 'Pretty easy'

The four friends made their way out, smiling, joking as usual.

Mia and Macy joined them at the doorway, talking about their day and how cute was what Paul had done and daring their boyfriends to do the same.

"Are you crazy? Mrs Tickens loves me, if I skip her class, she'd probably die of sadness." said Larry

"I wouldn't be surprised if Larry was having an affair with Mrs Tickens."
Mia whispered in Alex' ear.

"I know, right? They're like totally meant for each other." Alex replied with a grin, a grin that disappeared once he spotted Macy glaring at him.

He cleared his throat. "Well, um, what do you guys want to do?"

"I just wanna go home and rest, I'm feeling kind of tired." Macy sighed

"Yeah, you're right, I'm also really ti-"

Larry stopped as he spotted Detective Grande running towards them.

"Paul, come with me, something horrible has happened." he said.

"What? What happened?"

"Just come with me." replied the detective.

"Can I come too?" Camila stepped forward.

He nodded.

They both said goodbye to their friends and followed Giovani to Paul's house. It was surrounded by policemen, cars and an ambulance.

Paul jogged towards Detectives Davenport and Cress. "Guys, what's going on? Where's my mom?"

Both detectives gave him a grim look.

"Paul, your mother has been taken to the hospital. She had a panic attack." said Davenport

"Oh. That's bad, but that doesn't seem too big for such a crowd." said Paul. "and Will?"

Once again, the detectives exchanged grim looks.

"Follow me." said David.

They entered the living room, and stopped near the stairs. "I'm so sorry, Paul."

They gasped at the ugly sight.

In one corner of the living room, with the head completely smashed and a bloody sledgehammer next to it, was William Silko's dead body.