30: Is This The End...?

Ryder

I started seeing her frozen hair and then I digged faster than any of my pups. I pulled Katie out of the snow and took her in my arms. I was checking her pulse.

Shit!

My heart literally skipped a beat. I couldn't believe what I was even seeing... Cali. As Rubble took her out of the snow, there layed Cali. Bleeding. Pale. With a sharp piece ice stuck on her back.

Later...

I was in of the rooms of Jake's cabin. I was crying so much along with my pups. Is this a nightmare? Please tell me. I never ever thought anything like this could happen.

"Ryder..." The doctor came and we all stood up hoping for good news. "Katie.. she's fine. It's just she's freezing so don't let her go outside in the snow. It will be very risky. Keep her as warm as possible."

"I'm glad to hear that doctor" I said with a sigh of relief. "And Cali...?"

"Apparently the ice didn't touch her backbone so be thankful for that. Few pieces of the ice were still in her body after taking out the large one. It not good to have them in there or else there's a chance that she might not survive." The doctor responded.

There was utter silence in the room. Nobody knew what to say.

"Don't worry guys. I took care of it. She's completely fine and needs a lot of rest." She said with a smile.

All pups howled and jumped up and down filled with joy.

"Thank you doctor! Thank you so much." I thanked her.

"It's my pleasure!" She said. "You can go see Katie if you want. She's awake. Let Cali rest for now."

"Ok thank you doctor."

We were near the door of the room Katie was in. I was very nervous to go in. The pups  understood me and gave me time.

"Ryder, why don't you go in there first. We can wait." Skye said.

"But-"

"Come on Ryder!" Chase said.

"Okay. Thanks guys!"

I grabbed the door handle. My hands were shaking. I was in terror the last time I saw her. I am so nervous! I opened the door and walked in. The pups gave me a smile.

I saw Katie laying on the bed. Looking beautiful as ever. I nearly lost her today. How stupid even am I for almost letting that happen.

"Ryder?.." She said with her eyes barely open. I went near her bed and sat down beside her and smiled. "Ryder!" She screamed with joy. She got up and  hugged me tightly.

"Katie calm down. I'm also happy to see you but do understand that you are not well." I warned her.

"Ryder you have no idea how happy I am to see you again. I thought everything was it and I'd never see you again. I thought I had lost you."

"Don't say that. I am always there you Katie. I always will be. I promise you. Something like today will never ever happen again. I am sorry I couldn't save you in time. Forget anything happened today."

"Ryder.. don't say it like it's your fault. It's not. It's mine." She said while crying. "Where's Cali...?" She asked with fear.

"She's okay. She just needs some rest."

"Oh thank god! I thought I lost her. She's a hero Ryder. A giant piece of ice was coming towards me and she jumped and kicked me away. The ice shattered and one piece stuffed into her little body. I couldn't believe my eyes. The next thing I know is a wave of snow flushed us away. In this room is where I found myself after that. I was scared Ryder." She said hugging me again. I feel really bad for her and also Cali. I would know how I would also feel if one of my pups do that to me.