34. Lahore • لاہور

Start from the beginning

"Is everyone coming?" Ayna curled her hand around his bicep.

"I belive so. Infact they are all already there, just waiting on us," Zaeem spoke.

She hummed in silence kissing the underside of his jaw before the elevator doors opened. They drove in silence, Ayna's eyes filling up with excitement as they arrived at her parents home. The walls were covered in marigolds and roses. Fairy lights hanging in between. The large gates had been thrown open to make space for the n number of cars that kept rolling into their driveway. He helped her out of the car, soft smiles on their face as they entered the lawn. Large tables set up to accommodate for the many guests.

Sarah and Raeed were busily looking over the servers. Guiding them on how to place each of the dishes. The aroma of spices and freshly fried puri [deep fried bread]. Ayna felt her stomach rumble at the sights of semolina pudding, slivers of almonds shining with the sunlight. The layer of ghee swimming around it was all she needed to know for confirmation that they were delectable. Ayna patted Zaeem's arm before walking out of his embrace. Hugging her mother from behind and placing a soft kiss on her cheek.

"Salam mama," [Greetings mother,] she cooed.

"Haye mera bacha! MashAllah bohat haseen lag rahi ho," [Oh my kid! God has willed it you look so stunning,] Sarah kissed her cheek.

Raeed walked towards Ayna. Hugging her and then softly brushing his lips against her forehead. He prayed for her happiness with tears inside his eyes. There was a pain in his heart, that his daughter and wife spent a lifetime away, because of a man who did not know when to give up. The ache in his chest and the pain that had escaped his lips for days, were strong. He knew God worked in mysterious ways and the crimes of Nasir Waheed would not go unnoticed. However he was a father, and could not wait to watch Waheed burn. His other partners were already suffering, now it was his turn.

Ayna brushed out the frown in his brow, giggling at her father's reaction. She kissed his cheek and walked towards Laila and Anbar. A firm arm wrapping itself around her waist and pulling her to itself. She groaned as they made contact, punching his chest in reaction. Zaeem whistled a romantic tune in her ear, fiddling with the chandelier earrings.

"Guru ji thora kamray keh liye chor dein," [Teacher sir leave some for the bedroom,] Azmaray hollered.

The whole garden broke into fits of laughter. Zaeem awkwardly brushing his hair and Ayna proudly poking her tounge at him.

Served him right, she thought to herself.

———

| Ayna |

The gold of her dress shimmered under the bright lights

The gold of her dress shimmered under the bright lights. Her dress, was a short peplum. With petal shaped ends, and a fitted body. The dress was completely made of organza with a long skirt to follow with it. The white, silver and gold zardosi that covered the ivory fabric was stunning. Her midriff completely bare to the audience, her hand securely placed inside Zaeem's. The veil on her head, rested on one side of her shoulder with a light floral print and heavy lace detailing. Tussles dangling from the designer dress, she a sight for sore eyes. A gold necklace made with emeralds attached to the end, sat in her neck. Her hands filled with bangles, gold ones that Almas had gifted her with.

The venue had tall ceilings, large chandeliers hung from the wall and ended a mere ten feet above the ground. Made of fine glass they reflected pure white light, a back drop of ivory baby breaths and white roses behind the stage. A curving sofa seat beside which were two chairs for the guests. A large red carpet led from the door to the stage, in the middle of the entrance and stage a dance floor made of fiberglass had been placed. Tables with a soft gold cloth and chairs with a matching cover had been arranged.

Ayna and Zaeem walked in the hall, shower of rose petals falling on them as they held hands. Walking at a leisurely pace towards their stage. A circular domed cage behind it, making the theme of ethereal look even more lively. Zaeem squeezed her palm, before he left to greet his mother. Despite having met her just this morning at breakfast, he could not help but squeeze the life out of her. Meanwhile, Ayna too turned to her family. Hugging her grandparents and then parents. Eyes searching the room for her younger sister.

"Laila isn't here yet. She's stuck in traffic," Sarah patted Ayna's cheek.

"She left before me though," Ayna replied.

"Her and Azmaray had to go get a last minute gift for you, apparently on their way back they got stuck in rush hour traffic on canal road. Go on meet your saas, then we'll walk you to the stage". [Mother-in-law] Sarah pinched her cheek.

Doing as told Ayna held her dress in one hand and power walked to where Zaeem and his mother stood. She passed a small smile to Almas, her arms wrapping around her figure as they exchanged the signature cheek kisses. Almas' eyes were full of life as she kissed her cheek hard. Leaving behind the imprint of her nude lipstick.

"Jeeti raho," [Have a long life,] she blessed.

Thanking her the duo walked to the stage, Zaeem sinking to his knees and helping Ayna set her dress straight. He wrapped his hand around hers and placed them on his lap. His lips brushing her forehead, a warmth erupting in her body. Cheeks turning the shade of wild cherries. She pursed her lips narrowing her eyes in his direction, her long nails digging into his hand. Pinching his skin.

"Menay ki kiya hai?" [What did I do?] He winced.

"Respect our parents atleast," she patted the back of his hand.

"That I do janum. Par kehtay hain na 'jab piyar kia tou darna kia?'" [Life.] [But as they say 'if you love then why be scared?'] He grinned.

Ayna groaned, stifling the laughter that threatened to spill from her lips. Zaeem leaned in and placed the side of his head against hers, rubbing it back and forth ruining her hair in the process. Ayna blushed and mentally threw daggers at him and his audacity. He was doing it all on purpose. He very well knew she would not raise a tantrum in front of people, and he used this fact to his favor. However, Ayna knew just the perfect revenge. The fact that he did not know she was going to her parents place — the perfect chance to make him regret his actions.

Short chapter, I know.
But the next one is on them too so I had to substitute. ❤️❤️💕

Thoughts & comments