1. Life • زندگی

Start from the beginning

"A-Amma" Laila gulped.

"Kia Amma? Haye ab sab ko kori karahi khilain? Time bhi nahi hai dubara bananay ka!" [What mother? Oh now will we feed everyone bitter karahi? There is no time to start over!] Sarah slapped her forehead.

"Yeh bata zara, kis kai khayal mein khoi thi?" [Tell me this, whose thoughts were you lost in?] She pinched Laila's ear.

"No one amma!" Laila begged her mother to let her go.

"No one! Ab jab Asma bi bolay gi na tou khud jawab de dena haan? Saath mein saat naslain badnam karwana!" [Now when Asma bi asks tell her yourself okay? Along with that get your seven generations slandered too!] Sarah sarcastically replied.

Pushing Laila aside, she took charge. Dropping the green chillies and crushed garlic cloves, Sarah hurriedly added a glass of water. Laila meanwhile, silently observed her raging mother. Using her elbows, she pushed herself onto the kitchen counter. Swinging her feet in the air, a hand resting below her face, holding it up as she took in her mother's furious form.

"Sorry?" She pleaded.

"No". Sarah ignored her.

"Please?" Laila tried.

"Better luck next time!" Sarah rejected.

"Ammaaaa!" Laila tugged at her shawl.

"Ja kar raita banao aur iss baar zeeray ka pahar mat daal dena!" [Go and make the curd and this time don't add a mountain of cumin!] Sarah ordered, without sparing her a glance.

Laila squealed, hugging her mother tight before getting down to do the task. This was her mother's silent way of forgiveness. She mentally awed at her mother, who even at her age managed to look effortlessly beautiful.

The peaceful silence the enveloped the kitchen was broken when Laila's elder sister, Ayna walked into the kitchen. She was twenty six and looked nothing like their mother. Her hair like charred coal and skin the dark shade of Laila's favourite milk chocolate. Big, round eyes and wide lips. Ayna was a sight to see.

"Ayna baaji come here," Laila waved her over.

Ayna was kept busy most nights with parties. Sleeping in late, so any time Laila got with her was cherished beyond understanding.

"What is it?" Ayna inquired.

Her fingers putting her curly hair into a sleek bun as she washed her hands in the sink.

"Amma got me a green lehnga," she grinned.

Ayna smiled brightly at her, kissing Laila's forhead. Ayna knew how long her sister had been wishing for one. And her mother had been saving up for it even longer. Squeezing her younger sister tight, Ayna dragged her light body out of the kitchen and up the stairs, to her bedroom.

Ayna's room overlooked the vast Badshahi mosque. It enjoyed the views of its south side, and the image was something out of a fairytale. Fog descending on the horizon, the sun setting behind the mosque. A mixture of greys and dull yellows. Laila breathed in the smell of rain and soil. Its freshness, humbling.

"Laila here you go!" Ayna thrust a small box into her hands.

Laila's features morphed from shocked into a beaming grin. The copper box with its deep flowers engraved on it had been part of Ayna's collection for as long as she could remember. And something Laila had wanted for herself.

"Open it!" Ayna forced her.

Laila nodded her head with child like enthusiasm. Fiddling with the thin, curved clasp.

"How?" She stared up in shock.

"Bari behan ko thora sa credit do," [Give your elder sister some credit,] Ayna pinched her nose.

Laila hugged her sister tight. Her eyes still trained on the large jhumkas. With their dull copper finish and deep green emerald gems. She had seen these in the bazaar on the main roads of the walled city. Unfortunately, she had no money on herself and to ask her elder sister was unfair.

"I know you're very excited about tomorrow night. So I wanted to gift you something," Ayna hugged her back.

Laila smiled into the hug. Swaying their bodies gently. Gratefulness fulfilling her up. This was the life she had always known, and now she was excited to step into it and take a closer look at it all.

EEEK!!!

I LOVE LAILA, AYNA & SARAH ✋🏻

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS