Chapter Twelve: First Day In Dismay

8/7/15

Sorry it took so long for an update. The thing is, I thought I would have more time this summer, but it turns out I was wrong. Now I'm back in school again... great.

But I have made some changes, since my last update. For instance chapter names, and slightly longer chapters. And, from this point forward the standard chapter length will be 2-3.5K words long. Go ahead and read the chapter, because I know you hate Author's Notes.

Albus's P.O.V.

I was not looking forward to my first day. I'd heard many stories about this era, Voldemort, Deatheaters, and Umbridge. I never would have thought I'd actually meet any of those horrible people.

I got just a small preview of the oncoming year the night after the feast in the dormitory.

"Out of order, am I?" shouted Seamus. "You believe all the rubbish he's come out with about You-Know-Who, do you, you reckon he's telling the truth?"

I sat on my bed silently watching Seamus ramble about how my father was a liar... if only he knew.

"Yeah, I do!" said Ron angrily.

"Then you're mad too," said Seamus in disgust.

"Yeah? Well unfortunately for you, pal, I'm also a prefect!" said Ron, jabbing himself in the chest with a finger. "So unless you want detention, watch your mouth!"Seamus looked for a few seconds as though detention would be a reasonable price to pay to say what was going through his mind; but instead vaulted into bed, and pulled the hangings shut with such violence that they were ripped from the bed and fell to the floor. Ron glared at Seamus, then looked at Dean, Neville, and I.

"Anyone else's parents got a problem with Harry?" he said aggressively.

"My parents are Muggles, mate," said Dean, shrugging. "They don't know nothing about no deaths at Hogwarts, because I'm not stupid enough to tell them."

"You don't know my mother, she'll weasel anything out of anyone!" Seamus snapped at him. "Anyway, your parents don't get the Daily Prophet, they don't know our headmaster's been sacked from the Wizengamot and the International Confederation of Wizards because he's losing his marbles -"

"My gran says that's rubbish," piped up Neville. "She says it's the Daily Prophet that's going downhill, not Dumbledore. She's canceled our subscription. We believe Harry," he said simply. He climbed into bed and pulled the covers up to his chin. "My gran's always said You-Know-Who would come back one day. She says if Dumbledore says he's back, he's back."

Seamus shifted angrily and turned towards me, "You- What about you, Anthony? You don't seem very contempt to speak up. What's your deal?"

"My parents agree with Harry. I mean, look at the Prophet. Where's the proof Dumbledore's actually gone mad?" I say, "Besides, Voldemort-" There were gasps around the room from Dean, Seamus, and Ron; whilst Neville nearly almost fell out of his bed. "Oh, toughen up. Voldemort seems way more likely than Cedric Diggory dropping to his death on his own."

Seamus looked at me in pure shock, "And to think I thought you were actually cool. You lot are fools, you're bloody mad."

They haven't got a clue. If only they'd listened....

***

By the time I woke up, it was only Neville and I in the dormitory.

"Harry and Ron just left, I would've woke you up sooner but-"

"It's okay Neville," I say, "a few extra minutes of sleep doesn't hurt."

We dressed in silence. Not just silence. Awkward silence, the worst kind there is.