Chapter thirteen 👑

Start from the beginning

Hajiya Asiya rushed to were Hajiya Maymunah was crouched on the floor next to her bed and began to draw soothing circles on her back as she cried.

"Maymunatu,ki daina kuka mana, ba abunda mu ke so ba?" She said trying to console her friend. (Maymunatu,stop crying,is it not we wanted?).

Hajiya Maymunah looked at her,of course she found liking in Hajiya Asiya and her family, not because of their wealth or anything but because of their humbleness,she had dreamt of having Nazneen marry Khalil one day and even voiced her wish to Hajiya Asiya many times.

The noise of drummers singing praises to a newcomer made Mammiey smile.

"He has come already" Hajiya Maymunah stood up and stretched out her hand for her friend to help her up "let's go and welcome him"

———
♦♦♦
———

Again,the photographer took Nazneen's pictures as soon as she finished dressing into the golden coloured lace that was sewn into a wrap gown with shiny sequins attached to the bottom helm,sleeves and her left shoulder. A shiny matching tulle was attached to her headtie and flowed down to her waist.

The dress was very beautiful and all of that but Nazneen didn't like it. A silent sob escaped her lips when she heard that Khalil sheikh Al-farsi had arrived but no one in the room noticed. Yusrah came in hollering that it was time for Nazneen to come out.

She found standing up from the vanity stool difficult because her legs were wobbling with anxiety and also the dress seemed to be a bit too heavy for her.

Nazneen cast her gaze downwards as they walked outside her room to the living room were everyone was waiting for her. Camera flashes reflected her peripheral vision from every angle,then Yusrah that was holding her hand stopped and all she could see was that she was standing in front of somebody that was wearing a black chain embellished Versace loafers.

"She's all yours" Nazneen heard Yusrah whisper to the person before outstretching her hand and the waiting person took and gave it a light squeeze in assurance he was telling her that was alright and they'd sort it out together.

Khalil lifted her veil and his breath hitched slightly. He had never been the one to say a lady was beautiful but Nazneen was going to be the first. A small smile carved on his face as he used his index finger to raise her chin up with his other hand still holding hers.

Nazneen still avoided his gaze. She was heartbroken nevertheless and people were still cheering on. A lone tear fell down from her eyes and Khalil wiped it away with his thumb.

Another flash caught Nazneen's peripheral vision again. The photographer was at work capturing every single moment.

The rest of the day passed in a blur. Nazneen changed her dress again before she and Khalil went to Abba's room for his advice.

Then Khalil with his friends left once they left Abba's room and that was the last time she saw him that day.

She was carted to kaka's large bedroom  for the talk. The huge room which was filled to the brim with her Aunties and older cousins both the ones she knew and those she knew not of their existence.

One by one,they passed their advises and Nazneen listened to each and every one of it because she had no other choice but to. She made mental notes to discard the useless and negative ones though.