chapter 21 - flames

"Do you see what you have done, done to this country! I don't understand why we can't just give her to that stupid prince, shut him up."

"Because your majesty we need her celestial powers to destroy the fold, and what if the Fjderans kill her before we can destroy the fold? After the fold is destroyed we can give her to the Fjderans."

"But I am the King of Ravka, I will not continue to house this, this" The King of Ravka spluttered and widely gestured towards a calm seated Elara and the Darkling, his red face washing out his already hideous clothes. Elara compared him to an angry child. An angry child who was the ruler of a country and an angry child with a war adviser trying to calm him down. "This abomination, did you see how she destroyed my throne room?"

"In my defence I used magic to rebuild it back to it's ugly perfection." Elara calmly stated while cleaning her nails.

"Urgh, don't talk to me witch" the King turned from Elara with a disgusted face and spoke to his adviser "When will her training be done?"

At this the adviser turned to the man in charge of the grisha, "Elara has made significant progress in the summoning abilities, however I intend to find an amplifier for the destruction of the fold."

At this the King seemed please, "Ah yes, incompetent women, always needing our help"

At that statement Elara let out a snort, "The only reason I haven't killed you and every other sexist, annoying and horrible man in this room is because it is not in my best interest." The room was silent, "However my interests can change very quickly."

"Oh what are you going to do? Summon some stars in my eyes" An old adviser taunted.

"Oh no that would be so boring, if I was going to torture someone I'd start by feeding them a rare magical bug that forces the people to want to eat their own organs, so they start painfully eating them self." The casual manor that Elara stated seemed to have sunk into the men in the room as a few seemed to be wary.

Yet Elara continued, "You see, I have let everyone here see what they want to see. You need a light savour, someone to destroy the fold, I have that light power. I let you see the parts of magic that I wanted you to see, pots flying and changing colours. However I have not revealed the true potential of my magic, see from my little display the other day, I can control the elements." Counting her speech while slight flames seemed to be sporting from her hair, lighting Elara's hair on fire, without burning her. "I could force everyone minds in a second if I wanted to" looking the king in the eyes, "I could force you to leave the throne, or to kill yourself".

The temperature in the room was rising to an uncomfortable heat, "I could freeze everyone's body, take over the throne for myself, I could destroy an army, and all in a blink".

"I have more power than every saint in your books combined, and I will use it."

The flames dropped from Elara's hair as she sunk back into her chair and picked up one of the scones and began to place the jam on. The others in the room saw the scorch marks on the walls and the heat began to leave the room.

The heat of the room was still staggering, Aleksander fondled with the collar of his kefta, and the feel of his pants tightening.

His soulmate was powerful and dangerous, she had terrified war soldiers and spoiled kings.

And he loved it. Especially when she picked the leftover cream and flung it at the crown prince's face, and exited the room with excited steps and mumbling something about chocolate frogs. He waited to hear the inevitable crash into a wall, followed by a string of curse words that would make the queen faint.

She was the new beginning, someone who would bring change. 

A new moon.