Chapter 7 - Decisions

Start from the beginning

'I'm not sure how feminine it is.' Lavinia said.

'I'm not sure how feminine I am.' Mary said dryly.

'Very, I'm glad to say.'

'Carson, I keep forgetting to tell Mrs Hughes we've had a letter from Major Bryant's mother. She and her husband are in Yorkshire on Friday and she wants to pay us a visit.' Emma remembered the dark eyed handsome officer who recuperated in Downton during the war.

'Why?' Robert queried.

'The last time they saw him alive it was here, I suppose,' said Emma. 'It might bring them closure.'

'I can understand.' Cora sympathized.

'Will they be staying, my lady?' Carson asked.

'No, but we'll give them luncheon. That way, they can talk about the Major with all of us who knew him.'

'That lets me out, thank heaven.' Violet said, looking relieved.

Emma glanced at her younger sister and saw a frustrated look and asked, 'Sybil, dear, what is the matter?'

'Nothing,' Sybil rebuffed, 'I'm just exhausted.'

Emma's brow furrowed at her sister, deciding not to probe Sybil any further.

Emma, Edith and Sybil walked into the library the next morning, 'Doesn't it feel odd to have the rooms back?'

Emma was a little grateful she wasn't the only one who felt like things were out of place. 'And only us to sit in them. I have been thinking the same thing. I suppose we'll get used to it.'

'I don't want to get used to it.' Sybil said willfully.

'What do you mean?' Edith asked.

'I know what it is to work now. To have a full day, to be tired in a good way. I don't want to start dress fittings and or paying calls or standing behind the guns.'

'But how does one escape all that?' Edith asked Sybil.

'I think I've found a way to escape.'

'Nothing too drastic, I hope.' Emma warned.

'It is drastic. There's no going back once I've done it, but that's what I want. No going back.'

'I don't want to go back either.' Edith stated.

'Neither do I.' Emma said, giving a hopeful look.

'Then don't. You're far nicer than you were before the war, you know,' Sybil said to Edith, then she turned to Emma, 'And you are a stronger and confident than before.'

Emma gave a thankful smile to her little sister.

'Mary! Girls! Cora, come at once!' Robert yelled from the walkway.

Emma left her room at once and she asked in worry, 'What happened?'

'Everyone come at once!'

'What is it? What's happened?' Mary asked.

'Come and see this!'

They rushed into the library, following Robert where Matthew sat in his wheelchair.

'Is it true? Is it true what Lavinia says?' Robert asked excitedly.

Lavinia and James went to Matthew and he took their hand to help himself stand up. Emma was stunned with joy.

'My god!' Emma exclaimed joyfully.