EIGHT: Horseman

I honestly hated this prompt until I deep-dived into it for five minutes. then i fell in love.

Trigger warning: Mentions of death, war, and is more or less just dark. i mean, it's the four horsemen of the apocalypse (don't worry, I don't get all religious in this one).

"Frank is war, Gerard is death, and Mikey is famine."

The three looked at him blankly like he was on the bad shrooms and ranting nonsense (like last time).

"Ray, what the fuck?" Frank asked, having briefly taken his cigarette from his lips to speak.

Gerard was still thinking, so Mikey spoke up. "Why am I famine?"

Ray shrugged a shoulder. "It made the most sense to you. You aren't violent or tyrannical, you aren't dark and mysterious. You're dedicated and devoted to the things you need."

Mikey raised an amused eyebrow. "So, that makes me starvation of the land."

"Does that make you conquest?" Gerard asked. He was the only one taking it seriously of course.

Ray shrugged again. "I guess. I thought about it though, and I don't feel like I'm a relentless conqueror, so I don't think so."

Frank grinned, taking his cigarette out again before speaking out in smoke. "So we're the end of everything, and you're, what, an innocent bystander?"

Ray tilted his head at him like, 'do you really want me to answer that?' and Frank didn't question him again.

Gerard was still thinking about it. He'd turned around to begin pacing. "So, Ray, what made you think I'm death?"

"Well," Ray turned to him, sporting his Writer Voice all the sudden. "You're kind of haunting, in a way. Like some sort of creature that exists instead of living. You don't just take everything, but you wait for everything to come to you and let it happen it's own way."

Gerard blinked. "I'm literally a comic nerd that makes music."

Ray just shrugged (again).

"Why aren't we questioning the fact that I'm war?" Frank prodded. "'Cause what's up with that?"

Gerard exchanged grins with Ray and Mikey. "Because that's the one thing we can all immediately agree on."

~ ~ ~

Starved to death in a land of plenty, I am damaged and fragile, stretched to nonexistence by something I expected to care for me. Tired and weak. Paper skin on frail bones.

I feel nothing unless my needs are met, so I'll search elsewhere. I will endlessly consume everything in my path to try and fulfill my void, and I will do any and everything in my power to feel real again. To finally take a breath of life in a world that is nothing.

I scrounge and scrap for anything I can find to destroy anything that gets in my way. I am starvation from the outside in. I am a withered city.

-Famine.

This will all be my own paradise. It will not be perfect unless it is mine, and if you do not give it to me, I will take it from you without hesitation.

I take and take and take, and you will bow before my authority, whether by compliance or force. Love me or hate me, I will overcome everything, and this will be mine no matter the cost- even if the cost is me. My will is all there is, and you will follow me, or die.

Nothing is ever enough, so surely I must push on until there is nothing left to take. Annihilation in my wake, I am an unending valley of emptiness.

-Conquest.

I am ruthless and relentless. I'd rather go down with another number on an endless body count than back down from you.

I mean this. I am destruction; the gun of which you are loaded into, to be yet another bullet into another man's head. You are nothing but another expendable pawn in my sweet, sadistic game of war. I will leave you drowned in the pool of blood of your enemies.

Try as you may, I am the only winner in this game. You think you can destroy me? I've already destroyed myself. Blood and murder are my toys, and I will play as I please.

-War.

I am both a breath of fresh air and the monster under your bed. Everything, in time, belongs to me, and whether you flee or reach out, you will end in my arms. My stopwatch clicks down toward our meeting.

You are powerless to stop me from taking what I deem necessary. I am the only absolute to crawl out alive. I am nothing but the end. I am decay in darkness and light, and that is beautiful.

I await your arrival, to greet you, but not too soon. Remember, dear: everything, in time.

-Death.

interesting, huh?

10-9-21