Not Enough Bandages

Start from the beginning

INSULIN 

MUST BE KEPT COOL

Daryl felt his heart constrict painfully as he swayed to the side, in disbelief by what he was seeing. Was that why they were screaming for them to wait and come back? Did they really cause another person's death? Aliya's cough brought him back to reality, making him risk a peek at her over his shoulder. Making sure that she wasn't looking at him, he crouched down and zipped the bag close in a hurry. She didn't need to know what was in it. 

"Come on." he called out for her. Aliya raised a brow, "Where to?" she asked, curiously. Aliya didn't know where they were but leave it to Daryl to understand which direction they should go. Daryl eyed the duffel bag and lifted it up slightly, "We gotta bring this back. Trade it for their weapon." he explained quickly. Too quickly that it raised her suspicions, "What's in the bag?" she trailed off, unsure how to feel about him hiding it from her. 

Daryl shook his head, "Trust me on this." he pleaded, hoping that she'll drop it. Aliya stared between him and the bag for a bit before sighing and nodding. 

"Let's go." 

==+==

Both their footsteps were light as they slowly approached the three strangers. Daryl had his bow armed and ready as he aimed it at them before they promptly announced their presence. "Drop the gun!" he ordered while the man named Dwight jumped up almost automatically and aimed at them. Daryl repeated his order and approached the man carefully, snatching the gun from him. 

The three watched them both with wary and hesitant expressions, anxious about what they were planning to do. The duffel bag on Aliya's arm started feeling heavy once Daryl started the negotiations. It didn't matter what was to be traded only that the transaction would happen. Whatever is in the bag means something to the three, Aliya deduced. 

They had nothing of importance to trade except the wooden carving Dwight was working on before. Dwight fished the wooden item from his pocket in disbelief, unsure of what game they were both playing. He started explaining what it was, trying to justify the trade but Daryl dismissed him quickly, uninterested with the background of the item. 

"Don't care." 

Daryl carefully inched forward and snatched it from Dwight before nudging Aliya with his shoulder. Aliya blinked rapidly before walking forwards, "Here." she offered, throwing the bag gently. Dwight nodded at her gratefully which she reciprocated wordlessly. Daryl took a hold of her forearm and gently dragged her with him towards the opposite direction of the three. 

"Good luck." he offered, bidding them farewell. Dwight and the others remained silent, seemingly confused about what has went down but not mad about it. A few steps away from the three, gunshots rang out in the area, sending them into a panic. Daryl and Aliya immediately hid behind some trees, watching it all unfold. They exchanged words for a bit, tension thick in the air, making it hard to breathe.