Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings

Start from the beginning

"You worry me, Miss Daniel." he said in a soft voice.

"Again, it's just Madi. Why?"

"Listen, I'm gonna be honest here. You strike me as someone who prefers it that way, straightforward and no bullshits." He was right so I remained silent and waited for him to continue. "There something about you. I can point out what it is yet but I want to find out. So like I said minutes ago, I plan to get to know you and everyone around you."

Shoot. What am I supposed to say to that? For the first time in weeks, I have nothing to ask him. I still have nothing to say when the bell rang. Wow. I was literally saved by the bell. Students came in and out of the canteen making it crowded. It was the time to escape.

"I have to go." Carrying my backpack, I got out of there as fast as I could, hoping to disappear from the crowd. Mr. Madrid was officially the weirdest man I know. He made me work for him to pay damages I didn't cause. And now he's suddenly interested in me somehow?

He showed up everywhere I go. The club, outside my house, the university. Is he like obsessed with me? Wow. Madi! Assuming much?

When I came to Lumiere, I did everything not to cross paths with Mr. Madrid. We had enough encounters for the day especially that weird lunch. I immediately volunteered when Ma'am Bridgit was looking for someone to pile up some clothes. I spent the entire two hours in the stockroom arranging blouses and dresses to be displayed tomorrow at the department store. The people in the stockroom were busier than those in the dept. store. Sales personnel came in and out with various orders.

By six o'clock, I changed into my Harlow uniform hidden under my stained jacket and tucked in my jeans. I planned on going to work earlier to request an early shift. I've been feeling sleepy the entire day because of last night and I was hoping to get more sleep tonight or should I say tomorrow morning.

I sling my backpack and met Drew and Mae outside the locker room. I pulled my bun and shook my hair as we headed to the exit. I'll just tie it again later at the club. My companions were talking about Mr. Madrid's absence in the mall today. He only showed up after lunch. At first, I thought what the big deal was if Mr. Madrid was out the whole morning. Then, they mentioned it was the first time he wasn't in the mall for the opening. For five years, he has never missed an opening. Not even a Sunday.

I thought I was workaholic. Mr. Madrid was the workaholic. He's in the mall seven days a week and God knows how many hours. He has the perfect attendance record, no lates and no absences. He has never cancelled an appointment and never missed a meeting.

I wondered how these two knew all of these things about Mr. Madrid and when I asked them, Drew's answer was quick and short.

"News travel fast."

"I saw him at my school today." I regret saying because Drew and Mae gave me questioning looks. If it is true that rumors travel fast Lumiere, I should give them a proper explanation. When did I become so chatty? I told them how Mr. Madrid and I crossed paths when he came from an appointment with the dean in one of the colleges at MIU. That explained why he was out in the morning. I skipped the unnecessary parts like our morning encounter and weird lunch conversation.

I thought our conversation has been channeled to a new direction when Drew started busying himself with his phone. Of course, I've never been so wrong. With excitement, he showed us his phone. My photo with Mr. Madrid this morning filled the screen. Shoot. The image was from the MIU Facebook account. How did he find it?

Drew was so sure the man was Mr. Madrid because he was the only person in the city who owned that kind of luxury car. Shoot. I'm wearing the jacket. I hoped they won't notice.