Ashton offers a politely chipper hi and Michael merely sends him a glance. "Don't be rude," I roll my eyes at the stubborn boy, giving his head a light smack in good heart. He gives an exaggerated ow then greets Ashton with, "You saw that right? The abuse I have to put up with." Ashton giggles and I give Michael a pointed look. He sighs. "Guess it's good to be around someone other than just lewla."

"Who's lewla?" Luke asks after Ashton takes Michael's offer on some chips and the seat next to him. "Us apparently," I reply, continuing my schedule and grabbing my own pile of dirty laundry. "Lewla?" Luke mumbles from behind me. "Guess it's what everyone calls us now, it's our names put together," I walk around him to get back to the basket by the door.

"Well where is half of lewla going?" Luke muses. "Laundry," I hold up the basket full of clothes. "You're not going to wait for me?" He pouts. "I told you earlier and you weren't here. You know how I feel about my schedules Lucas." "But I haven't seen you all day," he counters. "You saw me this morning and I'm not going to stay down there, I'm only going to start the wash, I'll be back in literally minutes."

I hear a groan from somewhere on the couch. "Isn't it gross? They're like that all the time, this why I need you," I hear Michael say as he and Ashton peek over at us from the living room. "No one told you two to listen okay," I call back, Michael sticking his tongue out at me.

"You're putting me behind schedule here," I turn my attention back to Luke. "Fine," he sighs reluctantly. "I'll be back in a second, in the meantime would my big, strong, boyfriend like to put away the stuff on the counter," I send him a wide smile.

He agrees after another moment of convincing and I'm on my way, back on schedule.

-

Michael and Ashton surprisingly get along without a hitch. Which honestly says wonders about Ashton because it takes a certain kind of person to be able to put up with Michael Clifford and for as long as Ashton does, the boy should get some sort of medal really. Although Michael's wary of him for not liking video games much they seem to bond over moaning and groaning about Luke and I.

I'm just glad they get along. Glad we all mesh so nicely. Because well, because he's Luke's best friend. And Michael -as much as a pain in the ass that he may be - is my best friend. I was lucky in that he and Luke got along before Luke and I started dating so that was never a big deal; it was never anything to worry about because we all got along from the start.

I guess maybe I put so much pressure on everything going well with Ashton because he's the only one that really knows Luke. They've known each other for years, grew up together. He knows all Luke's secrets, all his pet peeves, all his best and worst qualities. He's been there through all Luke's highs and lows.

And okay maybe that also has something to do with it.

Because Ashton knows Luke's ex. He's met her. He's had actual conversations with her. He was there to see Luke fall so incredibly in love with her, probably had multiple conversations with Luke about it. How much Luke loved her. How happy she made him. It hurts more than anything, thinking about that time of Luke's life. Thinking about him happy with someone else. Thinking about the three of them hanging out in Luke and this girl's shared apartment.

So yes I wanted to make a good impression. Wanted to show Ashton that I can make Luke happy too. That I didn't plan on ever up and leaving him or breaking him the way she did. I wanted to show Ashton that his best friend was in good hands.

That I was so impossibly far gone for his idiot of a best friend.

Somewhere in the worrying and trying to prove my worthiness I seem to forget one small detail. One that Ashton reminds me of just before he has to leave, when Michael's stolen Luke, and him and I settle for a quick chat in the kitchen.

"Thank you," Ashton smiles genuinely, standing at the counter top that he refused to sit on a stool at. "For what?" I'm taken off gaurd, washing all the dirty dishes the three boys created. "It's been a while since I've seen him this happy," he says softly with a hint of a smile on his lips. "Please. You think that's all me?" I brush it off because it's easier than actually thinking about what he said, what it means.

"Yes," Ashton nods with a slight crease between his brows. "I don't know what he's told you but his last relationship was a wreck." I nod, "He's mentioned something like that..briefly." "Did he mention she was a total b-word and he hasn't played piano and literally years because of her?" "What?" I'm completely dumbfounded and slightly confused. This is not the way I pictured Luke's life prier to meeting.

"Well, hadn't played. He's been playing again and I know it's because of you. His eyes literally light up whenever he mentions you. Even before you started dating- oh god, don't tell him I told you that," he giggles. "I know my best friend, and I'm glad you brought him back to me," he adds more seriously. "I still think you're giving me way too much credit but I'll take it," I send him a small smile and glance toward the living room.

Luke and Michael are going on about something in the excited way they do that always has me confused as to what they're even saying or if they're even really saying anything at all. But they've both got big smiles on their faces and they're hands are flying all over the place and they both look so genuinely happy. Michael says something muffled so I know it's something inappropriate and stupid but it makes Luke laugh, his high pithed giggle that never fails to make me smile and I just feel so warm.

And so baffled at the thought of him ever being sad.

"I'm not gonna hurt him you know. That girl, his ex, I'm not her. I'd never hurt him like that," I look back at Ashton wanting to make sure he knows. Make sure he understands that and that he gets just how much Luke means to me. "I know that," he glances down at his fingers tapping against the counter top. "Just...remember to be patient with him okay? Sometimes he forgets just how amazing of a person he is. And sometimes it's hard for him to let go and forget everything she said to him."

I want to push on. To ask what that means. What she said to him. How bad it was. If it truly was as horrible as I imagine it. But I don't. I don't because although I'm pretty certain Ashton would tell me, I know that's Luke's story to tell when he's ready.

Whenever that may be.

So instead, I nod and promise to be patient whenever he needs me to be and Ashton leaves not long after.

-

"Can I ask you something?" I start hesitantly in the quiet old laundry room well after Ashton and Michael have both gone home. "Sure," Luke shrugs from where he's laid out on one of the folding tables, an arm swung across his tired eyes. "Why don't you talk about her?" I chew nervously on the inside of my cheek, folding clothes on another table since Luke took over the one I had been previously using.

"You're going to have to be more specific babe," he hums easily. "You know who I'm talking about, Luke," I deadpan even if he's not looking. "Nope, can't say I do," he replies smartly. "We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, I just...I want to know everything about you and that - she - is actually a really big part of that, whether either of us like it or not," I sigh.

It's quiet for a moment after that.

"What do you want to know about her?" He says quietly, sheepishly, dropping his arm and turning his head to fix his gaze on me. I shrug because one, I wasn't really expecting him to actually agree, Ashton making it seem like it'd be years before I could actually get him to talk about it. And two, I'm not even sure what I want to know.

"All of it," my mouth deciding before my brain. I'm sure of it because if my brain had decided, if my brain had actually thought about my answer, then I know my heart wouldn't hurt so much having to hear Luke go into detail about the stunning girl he fell in love with on the train.

--
Ooh. Are you crying yet? You excited? No. Probably not. Lol but yay look at me, two chapters in two days! :D I don't know where this sudden urge to write has come from but I'm liking it and I'll probably update again very very soon. (:

Comments and votes are always appreciated. <3