Chapter 13

I wake to the usual annoying sunlight coming in through the windows - swearing I'll get around to buying some curtains this weekend, with the usual solidness and warmth of a certain blonde haired boy laid lax beneath me. It honestly shouldn't be as familiar as it is. It shouldn't be at all. Not when Luke's clearly not over his ex and we agreed to be nothing more than friends.

The thing is, I know this. I know nothing good can come from this. I'm reminded of the fact whenever Luke cancels plans for whatever reason and there's a certain pull at my heart. I'm reminded of the fact when he and Michael talk about girls, any girls, and I catch myself ignoring him. Of course it only lasts a couple hours before he catches on and makes sure to fix it.

So yes, logically, I know. I know I've signed my own death wish. Yet, looking up at him, his eyelids shut and lashes resting peacefully against his freckle-covered cheeks, soft snores and arms wrapped around me, I just can't seem to bring myself to care. Not when moments like this make every little stab of pain just some distant memory and in turn make me feel incredibly high.

Not when in the moment, he is mine and I am his.

I watch as he peeks his eye open with a little stir. He groans and his arms tighten only for a second. "I need certains," I mumble idly. He hums his sleepy agreement. "The suns in my face," I continue my complaints, playing with the collar of his shirt. "Sh," he lazily shushes. "But I can't sleep," I frown. He shakes his head, eyes shut tight. "Luke," I pout.

"Go to your room then," he sighs but makes no movement to remove his arms from around my body. "But you're not in my room," I state. He grows a small hint of a smile. "Go to sleep Laila," he snuggles down further into the couch. "Come with me," I propose. "Where?" he mumbles with furrowed brows. "To my room dummy."

"Your room?" "Yes. I do have a bed ya know and it's a lot more comfortable than the couch," I get up, taking the blanket with me. "It's cold," he frowns, curling in on himself. "Well come with me and you get the blanket back," I stand in front of the couch cocooned in the warm blanket. "I don't want to get up," he pouts, looking up at me with big, tired, blue eyes. His pouts so good I almost give in. Almost. "Come on, you'll only be up for a few seconds."

"Why do you hate me," he grumbles, taking my hand as I lead the way to my room. We only make it about halfway when there's a knock on the door. Luke groans even louder and I think maybe he's on the verge of a tantrum. "Quit being a baby," I chuckle. He grunts. "I'll only be a second, you're almost there just go lay down," I let go of his hand and shoo him along.

"What do you want?" I groan at the pale boy in my doorway. "Good morning to you too," he replies sarcastically. "Michael, it is like 5 in the morning, why are you here?" "It's not 5 in the morning," he snorts. "It's 11:30 and I thought you'd be up already." "Well I'm not, so go away," I block his entrance. "But Luke's not home and-" he stops and his eyes light up like a light bulb.

"Is Luke here?!" He whisper-yells. "What? No," I go for nonchalant. I fail. "Bullshit. Oh my god, did you guys.." he trails off with a wide grin. "No! No, god. We're just friends! It was late, he slept over," I shrug. "Alright then why can't I come in?" Michael cocks a brow. "Because I don't want you to, now go away," I groan, shutting the door in front of him.

"You know this is going to go to shit," he says quickly just as the door clicks.

And I know that. But that doesn't stop me from joining Luke in my bed for another few hours of sleep.

-

I wake hours later to an empty bed and noise coming from the kitchen. There's a note on the bed that catches my attention.

Had to make sure my captive didn't get away last night, be back later. X

I smile through a yawn at the promise of him coming back later. Then it settles in. The noise in the kitchen. If Luke's gone then who could possibly be in my kitchen at...3 in the afternoon. Quietly, I get out of bed, my phone in one hand and a bat Michael and Calum made me buy because 'you never know' in the other.