C. 9 THE KING OF CURSES

(This includes my own theory. Not canon.)

I was born as a mistress' son, in a family where they stood high along with the powerful ones. To keep that status and to be acknowledged, I followed every order the headmaster told me. I'm not strong compared to Zenin and Gojo but I always did my job right. Enough to give me recognition and a succession as the head of the family. They even prepared a woman to be my bride.

Until, I saw her.

I was passing by in the market and noticed these fresh picked vegetables. This caught my attention and thought of buying the products. The whole family likes to eat meat, vegetables and desserts are hardly served.

"Hello good sir. Would you like to buy some vegetables?"

A female's voice suddenly rang into my ears. She has a nice voice but I decided to shake away the thought.

"Yes, I need a dozen..of...these...."

As I lifted my head up and landed my eyes on her, I was lost for a moment. I don't know why. I've seen a lot of pretty ladies, even my bride-to-be is a beauty. However, in my eyes this lady is a lot more pretty.

"Excuse me, Sir. I didn't hear you. Can you please repeat it again?"

"Huh?"

I was awoken from my daydream. Hell, I didn't even know if I stared too long or too much. I panicked a bit and spouted stupid words.

"I-i..I'll buy it all!"

I bursted out. She was surprised and so were the other people near us. I can feel their eyes on me. Customers were amazed while the vendors were jealous. To not embarrass myself further, I handed her a bag of coins to pay for all her products.

"A-are you sure, sir?"

She asks a bit unsure. There aren't many people who buy all their products and here I am trying to boost my status.

"Please, just bag them up."

I lowered my head, completely embarrassed while beckoning her to hurry the bagging. It took a while before she finished and I was just there watching her do her job with a smile. Is it because she's selling that she needs to smile? It doesn't look forced either.

"I've finished your order, Sir. However, can you carry this all by yourself?"

She said while looking straight into my eyes. I'm thinking that she might be a genuine and respectable person. Then again, I felt embarrassed. Or maybe this is flustered? I can feel my face heat up a bit.

"Yes, I can."

I answered her and carried the three bags full of vegetables. It's actually light. Also, my carriage is waiting outside the market.

"Ah, thank you very much, Sir."

"Yes, see you."

Without realizing what I said, I hurriedly strode out of the market. The coachman was surprised by the bags of vegetables I brought. With my stupidity, we had our three meals with vegetables as appetizer and main course.

~ • ~

[She isn't here today either.]

After every work I did, I would pass by her stall in the market. It's been three days since and she hasn't come back to sell. The other vendors thought that I came back to buy vegetables, so they kept on pursuing me to buy from them.

"Asakura-san, can I have a medicine for colds?"

A familiar voice rang into my ears again. Yes, it's her. I followed where the faint voice was. After taking a turn, I immediately saw her. She was standing there, looking sad and tired.

"Yuki-chan, you have colds?"

The seller asked, sounding worried.

[Ah! She has a cold?]

I thought and waited there. I clearly know it's bad to eavesdrop but I can't help it.

"Yes, it seems I cried so much that I caught a cold."

She smiled with her tired expression. Right then, I heard that her father died after she went back home when I bought all of her goods. Just when a good thing happens, a bad thing comes right after. Like karma.

"Yuki-chan, get some proper rest okay? I'll call my son to help you in your field,"

I immediately flinched. Does she have a lover already? Why am I thinking about this anyway?

"Thank you, Asakura-san but your son doesn't need to help. I can manage,"

The man, Asakura laughed. Along with his big build muscles, he also had a loud laugh.

"I'm sure that brat would be delighted,"

He leaned in closer to the lady and whispered.

"He likes you, you know."

He said then laughed once again. That wasn't a whisper, because I can clearly hear him. So his son is just like her. They're aren't together yet.

[Seriously, what am I thinking?]

I tried to deny as much as I wanted. However, I'd be a fool if I can't figure out this feeling. Actually, I know this very feeling.

I followed her walking back to her home. A noble man following a commoner would look suspicious. I look like a foolish stalker. I was just worried about her. She has a cold and she could barely walk. What if she got into trouble? Knowing this, I can't just let my conscience feel guilty.

Her house was big. Like a noble's vacation house. It's decent that you'll doubt if she's actually a commoner or a noble. She also has a farm field. It's enough for one person to manage.

I was hiding behind a tree when she was about to enter her fence gate with a height of just below my waist. However, she stopped there. She turns around like she was looking for something.

"Is someone there?"

[Shit! Did she notice me?]

Then, I felt my chest pangs very loudly. It's heavy and I can't breathe. This feeling is familiar. Ominous, menace and fright​ening.

[A curse?! Inside?!]

Not to mention, it's pretty strong.

"Wait! You can't go inside!"

She was startled because of my voice but she saw me. She asked why I was there. I didn't have time to answer when I saw behind her a shadow that's about to engulf her.

"What? There's someone behind-?"

She said as she turned her head back. I don't know what she saw but she reacted fast then she extended her hand towards me. With her pale and tired face, she still tried to call me with her little strength.

"Help me!"