Steady but sure

Maca peacefully slept for the next few hours as Zulema sat in her usual spot on top of the van. She liked it up there. It was so tranquil and quiet and she felt like nothing could disturb her in the world. It was a place for her to completely relax and breathe in some fresh air. Unless, of course, she was holding a cigarette in her hand. Which was the case. The brunette lay back in her deck chair staring up into the deep sky. The time was somewhere around 12:30 am and the sky was jet black, only the glowing stars and moon sat up there in the great sky. They provided a subtle light for zulema as she lay there, watching the stars.

With thought and relaxation, she put her cigarette to her mouth and inhaled a deep breath of smoke. She let it settle inside her for a few moments before exhaling and breathing it out, creating a foggy cloud in front of her. It slowly drifted away with the gentle breeze of the night. She could stay up here in this moment forever. It had been a while since she'd thought about the blonde woman down below. As she took another drag she pondered whether she should go and check on her. But she was probably as fast asleep as she was when she left her, making noises like a little squirrel. The truth was, Zulema could've stayed at Maca's side the entire time watching her sleep. To be honest it was as peaceful as sat up on top of the caravan watching the stars.

After some more considering, zulema decides to finish her cigarette and make her way down the ladder to the ground. Stepping up into the van, she anticipated the sight of maca. Would she be asleep? Awake? To her prediction, she was still asleep. But no more squirrel noises. Previously, before she had gone upstairs to the top of the van, zulema had waited until maca fell asleep. When she'd drifted off into a sleep finally, zulema had covered her over with the blanket to keep her warm. After all it was December and maca wasn't wearing any trousers. All she was wearing was a big black t-shirt and black underwear. Zulema realised she must've been freezing. It was never very warm inside their caravan.

She watched maca sleeping for a little while, wondering when she would wake. Every time she shuffled around, zulema thought she was waking up. But no. The brunette decides to wash up some dirty plates while she patiently waits for maca to wake up. She hadn't stopped for one minute to think about the heist they had just unsuccessfully carried out and how dangerously wrong it went. She'd forgotten about the jewellery and money and how they'd left it all there. What if the police followed them here? There were many questions buzzing round her head. Maca will probably not remember what happened. She will have to break it to her when she wakes up. Out of the pair, maca is the one who cares more about stealing the money than being on the lookout for police or potential enemies. Zulema's always the one taking the safety precautions and protecting them both. Yes, zulema did her fair share of physical stealing, but maca spent more time on it, taking everything she can. Does she do it for zulema? Because she knows it will make her happy? Zulema, however, is more about freedom than money.
She'd got enough freedom that she wants, and she's happy with the money they take in every now and then. She was satisfied but it seemed maca wanted more.

All her life all zulema has ever wanted was her freedom. And a bit of money. Now she's got her freedom and easy money, she realises not to squander it away and go crazy. Be steady but sure. That's what wins the race, in any kind of tournament.

Suddenly maca begins to stir as zulema hears her movement on the sofa bed. She turns her head to the side to see maca rolling and slowly beginning to sit up. "Zulema-" she calls out quietly.

"Rubia. Finally awake," she says as she walks over to her, secretly happy that she's finally up.
"Que pasado?" Maca seemed a little dazed and confused.
"You don't remember?"
"No."
"Pues, we went to THC's like we planned a few weeks ago. We managed to gather lots of jewellery but then," she stopped.
"Then what?"
"The police arrived and we had to run to the car. Run away from gunshots chasing us," Zulema hesitantly explained. Maca moved her leg and a wince of pain escaped her mouth. She moved the blanket and looked down at her thigh which had a white bandage covering her wound. "And yes, you got hit," she said as she looked at her leg too.
"Oh. I think I remember now. It's just all a bit fuzzy," the blondie explains. "How was my wound?"
"Do you want me to be honest?" Zulema asked.
"Do I wanna know?" The blonde responded.
"Seriously Maca?"
"Fine."
"Pretty bad. I wasn't sure if I was able to get the bullet out. Those bastards got you good," she explained.
"Wow. But it's ok now, no?" You could clearly see a small expression of worry on Maca's face.
"Yes but it's still really bad and needs plenty of time to heal. You need to be careful." Zulema explained.
Maca sensed zulema was slightly upset. She couldn't believe it, why did she look so upset?
"Hey, you did a great job zulema. I'm fine!" Said Maca as she looked into Zulema's eyes who was looking at the ground as she lent against the sink.
"I know, I know. I'm fine," she replied without letting on what was really wrong with her. All she wanted to do was scream and shout 'I thought I was going to lose you Maca and I can't bear the thought of living this life here without you!' But she couldn't. She just couldn't...