Chapter 2

*Kanika Pov*

"I just need to join the group? They will pay that much?" Dad asked in an amazed tone towards the person he met on the road.

"Yes! But you have a daughter and they don't allow kids on the ship." That person stated and I got scared hearing those words as I know what will happen now so that he can go to this job for easy money.

The next day, he dragged me towards the huge area with a long gate saying, "Now, start crying!"

"Is this what you call crying? Cry more!" he said slapping my back and I closed my eyes to let the tears flow.

"Good! What will you say reaching there?" he asked taking to the corner of the building after a few minutes.

"My Mom left me here with this letter." I replied still crying and he smiled nodded before walking away to hide so that he can see whether I am walking towards the gate.

I closed my eyes already used to this as this is not the first orphanage where I am going with the same excuse and the same tears but the slaps don't pain as much as in the past.

He does this every time he gets a job where he need not work much and also where kids are not allowed.

I don't mind using my Mom's name as she really left me three years back to leave my Dad but didn't take me with her as I am a burden.

If I don't do this then Dad will hit me more and if I do this then I can eat good food for some time and stay away from him.

"When will you come back?" I asked before I reached the gate loudly.

"I may never come back and you need to handle yourself." Saying that he walked away while I wished his words are true but also wished they are not.

Right now I need to get into this and take some rest before earning some money. With that, I can stay somewhere else instead of going to another orphanage next time.

With that determination, I reached the gate and the watchman took me inside where I was asked my name and age in a calm tone but a kind one.

"My name is Kanika and I am eleven. My Mom left me here with this letter." I said passing the letter which my Dad wrote.

"Where is your father, child?" the lady asked and I cried more before shaking my head.

She frowned looking at it before glancing at the other woman in the room. I continued to cry without stopping and they finally calmed me down saying I can stay here and they will take care of me.

I waited until they took me to a room and finally calmed down before lying on the bed feeling my back hurt because of the beatings.

"Hello! Are you okay?" I slowly opened my eyes to find a girl sitting on the bed beside mine.

"Yes!" I replied closing my eyes and suddenly felt my hand holding something which made me open my eyes and look down to find chocolate which she passed.

"Take it! It is my birthday. I am finally eleven today." She said smiling and she looks happy to be here.

"Don't worry! It will be fine after some time. I have been living here for five years and you can even get adopted." She assured me passing another chocolate.

"Why didn't you get adopted?" I asked and she shook her head before leaning closer.

"Because I have nightmares at night, unlike other children and so I am not perfect." She whispered and I frowned but slowly sat up.