_Twisted_Roses_

Hello! As you know, I'm Ayah, an interviewer from The Crazy Late Nighters Community aka CLN. Before we begin, what should I call you by and what are your pronouns?

Hi, Ayah. You can call me April. My pronouns are she/her.

Awesome! Now, before we get to the more serious part of the interview, how would you describe yourself in three words? Why those exact words?

Of course, I’d like to think of myself as creative, like with my art and my writing. I’m always trying to find new twists to put in common tropes. I’m pretty dedicated (except when I’m not) because I guess I’m just motivated to do what I set myself out to, be it with work or my hobbies. I would say I’m also an overthinker because little details and usually insignificant things start to mean a lot to me when I take the time to think about them.

I love it when authors put unique twists in common tropes, it's always a pleasant surprise and I'm glad to hear that you do that! What started your writing journey? What's the best part of it?

I started writing stories in a notebook when I was in second grade. I’d write a series of random tales that revolved around one woman who was a mermaid princess, haha. It was a bunch of adventures she had with her friends, and I also drew pictures to go with it. I kept writing stories in notebooks as I grew up and the stories were of different genres like murder mysteries, science fiction, and dystopian. About three-ish years ago, my friend recommended I put my stories on Wattpad, and so I did.The best part is writing for myself. I love getting lost in my own stories and characters. It’s a nice way to de-stress. Also, seeing my growth is great (that doesn’t mean I still don’t cringe at my old writing).

Wow, your writing journey started at a pretty young age! I'm sure your random tales would've been quite an interesting thing to read. And I, one hundred percent agree with your definition of the best part of writing! It's like entering a whole new world with new people and going on fantastic adventures. I'm glad to hear your growth is great! How did you feel when your book “Hey, Death” won first place?

When I found out that “Hey, Death” won first place, I reloaded the screen because I thought something was wrong lol. It was one of the first books I’ve published here, so it’s always been really important to me. Seeing that others liked it too, enough to give it first place, was amazing. Not to mention it makes me want to really edit the whole book and make it better. It already has a sequel and spin-off, so in a way it feels like the whole series won!

Aww, that's so relatable. When something you've worked so hard on gains recognition or wins an award, it really is hard to believe. However, congratulations on winning first place! What inspired you to start writing "Hey, Death"?

Yes, exactly! I read “The Book Thief” a couple of years ago. The narrator was Death. I think that gave me the idea like “oh, Death can be an actual character.” But, unlike in “The Book Thief”, he’d actually interact with others, have a backstory, a snarky personality, and be a main character. And I took it from there. A rebellious girl meets Death himself and their paths intertwine. Ever since then, I’ve kind of been obsessed with personifying abstract topics like Death and Love.

Although I’ve never read “The Book Thief”, the way it inspired your book is honestly so cool! And yes, the personification of abstract topics is truly incredible. When it comes to your book, were you a pantser or a plotter? Are you usually a pantser or plotter?

I’d say I was a bit of both, but if I had to choose one, it’d be pantser. Besides having a few important scenes in mind for “Hey, Death”, I let my characters and their goals drive the plot. It’s more exciting and fresh for me that way. I usually am a pantser (mostly because I’m impatient), but I’m trying harder to outline my story better with "Death Inc".