Chapter Twenty-Three

Warning: mentions of abuse and alcohol

(Next Day - top outfit)

The sun shined in through the kitchen windows, letting out little stretches of light across the living area and kitchen table. The boys were doing their own thing before the day started while Kiara and I were cleaning up the kitchen. We hadn't heard from Sarah or anyone else about yesterday's events, none about what happened after we had left the bonfire.

I was mainly curious to see if the fights diminished or continued on. Kiara ran a towel underneath the faucet and wiped down the kitchen table, getting rid of any crumbs that might've landed there. I was in charge of looking through the fridge to see if there was anything expired.

Luckily, most of it was alright to eat. I guess since we all had been staying here the food was going to good use. "Hey! Are we gonna eat the rest of the pickles? Or can I throw em' away!" I called, stepping away from the opened fridge. Kiara reigned the towel out and draped it over the sink's faucet. "Keep it in there. JJ will eat it," she said. I nodded and put it back onto the shelf.

My phone began vibrating from the kitchen counter. Kiara glanced at me, motioning for me to answer before it got annoying. I picked it up and realized that Lynn was calling me. "It's Lynn," I held up the phone. Kie turned off the sink, setting her hands on the edge of the kitchen counter.

"You need to talk to her at some point."

I sighed, knowing that it was better to call Lynn. Maybe I could figure out what was going on with my dad. I get that he just witnessed his friend being killed, but the least he could do is talk about it. My dad was never good with dealing with his feelings. "Hello," I answered the phone. "Where the hell are you!" Lynn exclaimed. I pulled the phone away from my ear as she yelled.

Kiara raised her brows, hearing my step-mother yell over the phone. She moved the magnets around on the fridge so they were organized. She demanded on staying by my side if I needed anything. Leave it up to Kie to be there for you when you're at your lowest. "I'm with Kiara, we're...." I tried thinking of a convincing response.

"At the beach, cleaning," Kiara helped out. I gave her a thumbs up and drew my attention back to Lynn who was probably fuming on the other side of the phone call. However, it was silent on my step-mother's side. "Lynn? You there?" I asked. "Yes, I'm here," she said, "Have you talked to your father?"

I sat down on the kitchen stool. Kiara walked over to the living room, fixing the couch cushions. She grabbed one of the blankets and folded it so it draped over the middle of the sofa. "No, no I haven't," I answered. My thoughts wandered over to why the hell was Lynn staying at my grandmother's.

Shouldn't she be with my father? Helping him at least? "Lynn, do you even know what's going on? Ward Cameron is dead," I said. "Yes, I'm aware of that," she replied. I grunted, running a hand through my hair. Kiara patted me on the back and grabbed a water bottle for herself and me as well. I quietly thanked her, taking a big gulp of the cold beverage.

"Listen, Lynn. As much as I would love to sit and chat, I've got to help clean up the beach because people are being stupid and aren't cleaning up after themselves," I hung up the phone before Lynn could interrupted. Kiara shook her head and took the full trash bag out of the can. 

🌊🌊🌊🌊

(Later - same outfit) 

Kiara and I sat on the couch in the screened in porch with her arm around my shoulders. John B relaxed on one of the chairs, his feet resting on the arm rest of the other chair across from him. I yawned and rested my head on Kie's shoulder. My boyfriend opened the door of the porch, joining the rest of us out on the porch. He walked over to me and Kiara who sat on the patterned couch. "Skootch," JJ said, waving Kiara away.