Chapter Fourteen

(Few months later - Outfit One) 

My boots stayed glued to the dirt ground as my friends stood on either side of me. The grey clouds covered the sky and sun, creating a gloomy feeling at the chateau. I hugged my arms at the cool feeling of the breeze. John B's favorite tree sat in front of us, a carved heart in the middle that Pope had created. I held the blow torch underneath the screwdriver, letting the orange and red flame hit the metal. JJ gave me a nod before walking towards the carved heart. With a little concentration, he was able to chip away at the wood, perfectly writing: 2003-2020 John B Routledge, P4L. 

I wiped my tears away before returning my arms to my side

I wiped my tears away before returning my arms to my side. I hadn't even bothered to clean my face from yesterday's makeup, not even giving a shit on how miserable I looked. Kiara swung an arm around my shoulder, bringing me in close. JJ steps back and stands beside me after burning the letters into the trunk. "To John B," he said and raised up his metal flask. 

"And to Sarah," Kiara added

"And to Sarah," Kiara added. Pope raised his can of soda in salute to our friend's. Kiara took her arm off my shoulder, making her way to the side of the tree. She looked over her shoulder and motioned for me to follow her. I left JJ's side and knelt in front of the hole that I had dug earlier. Kiara set the wooden box into the small dirt hole. I reached over and set two dainty white flowers on top of the box full of memories. 

With the help of my three friends, we were able to set the soil onto the box. I stood up from the ground and wiped my hands on my shorts, free of dirt. We stood there for what felt like forever, just gazing at the memorial for our childhood best friend. Can't believe he was gone. After everything we did to get that gold, it just bites us in the ass. And to add the cherry to the top, my parents hadn't done anything to help the situation; including my father. He hadn't taken the death of John B like I thought he would. My father spent long days at the station, ignoring me and Lynn, heading straight towards the liquor cabinet. To say my life was absolute shit right now would be an understatement. 

Of course, my step-mother and father were oblivious to what goes on in their teenage daughter's life. Lynn is so focused on helping the Cameron's, my dad is too captivated on being a sheriff, and can't forget my boss completely drowning me in shifts at the ice cream parlor; I'm this close to quitting. Another second passed and I was tired of staring at the oak tree. I spun around on the heel of my foot, making a beeline towards my skateboard that leaned against the side of the house. I swung my backpack over my shoulder and hopped on my board, ignoring my friend's calling my name. Houses seemed to fly by as I rode home.