Chapter 64

It seemed that everyone else was entirely aware of what would be happening to my husband. And it also seemed that they allowed me to believe that this nightmare would pass. I should have clued in to the way they reverently lifted him, how some of them told him his pain would be gone soon, or apologized. I stayed with Leo as he was carefully loaded into a cart that had been originally used for supplies. Leo faded in and out of consciousness but every time he saw me, he would shoot me a smile despite how unseeing his eyes were. How was I supposed to give up faith what I saw him like that, after he told me he loved me?

"Why isn't everyone preparing to leave?" I asked as Archer and James mounted massive steeds. A few of the men were wandering into the field that had housed the battle. Now, with bird chirping in the trees and fluffy clouds moving across the horizon, it seemed strange that there had ever been a fight here.

"Watching your own brothers die an awful death will change a man. They are saying goodbye to those they never thought they would lose."

I watched James's human eyes fade into some distant, mournful emotion that I couldn't even comprehend. "You always fear for your own life. Then, when its all over, you realize that you should have been concerned for the others. You never understand how hard it is to move on, to continue living without them, until you have to."

God, I owed my life to this man and his advice. I had seen him transform into a terrifying creature that could tear out an artery with one bite. Now, back in borrowed clothing and human skin, he was no less terrifying. And this had broken him.

At the very least I could spare a few moments for him. They had risked so much for me, I wasn't going to take away their mourning. "Would you like to stay a while longer?" Though the majority of the bodies remaining were faeries, there were massive wolves as well and a few humans who hadn't been so lucky.

Both men turned to glance at each other and it was Archer who let out a heavy sigh. "Ember, Leo needs a proper medic. The sooner we leave, the better."

"I want to stay," Leo croaked out from the cart. It was the first thing he had said in a long while.

"I'm not taking that risk," Archer stated.

"You would have to kill me before you would let me drag you out of a battlefield," Leo argued, his voice weak and ragged. "These are my people. These are my men that I led into this battle. I can still hear some of them. I am not leaving any of them behind. No man will take his last breath alone."

"Leo-"

"I'm king and I have made my choice."

"You may be a king but it is already decided. You are not making this choice." His gaze moved to me, serious and unwavering. "Ember, get in the cart. You can ride there until your body becomes tired."

It felt wrong to deny my husband such a simple wish, but I wasn't in a position to deal with Archer. And though Leo was bandaged up around the waist, the white fabric was still saturated with bright red blood. Going home would surely be best. At James's suggestion I removed the heaviest bits of my armor and climbed into the little rickety cart. Once I was seated by Leo's still form, we took off at a quick canter.

The clouds that had been light and fluffy at one point started to accumulate more heavily in the sky. I refused to pay attention to the way James anxiously glanced upward or the aggressive way Archer pushed on his already weary mount. I focused on talking to Leo. I told him how handsome he looked on the day of our coronation and repeated how worried I had been on that island, so far away. Part of me wanted to tell him how sorry I was and explain everything, but something prevented me, like telling him all of those things would feel like I was letting go. Like I was trying to make peace because I wasn't sure if he was strong enough to win against the wounds on his body. I filled the air with useless words well after my body started to ache from being bumped over the rough path and fat rain drops started to come down.

"Those wetlands are susceptible to flooding this time of year," James rumbled, his voice so quiet I knew that it wasn't meant for me. That only made me strain my ears harder.

"I know," Archer agreed, but pulled up on his horse's mouth anyway. The beast slowed and James's – the one pulling the cart – followed suit. "But these horses have been in battle. We can't risk injuring them or pushing too hard. A slow horse is better than a dead horse."

"It's a risk."

"One we have to take, either way."

The rain started to come down in sheets. During storms like these some of my sisters would race outside, thrilled to be on land and be embraced by the very thing that drove their souls. But none of us were sirens here. We weren't even royalty in this wilderness. We were just drained creatures, trying to get home. The only thing I could do was try my best to keep Leo warm and dry which felt like a whole other task with such limited options.

The cart came to a halt. My head jerked up.

"Why are we stopping?" I demanded. My hands were cradling Leo's cheeks. Was he getting colder? Was it the weather? Or was it just concern messing with my mind?

"The ground is flooded," Archer said flatly.

"These are war horses, they'll push through," I countered.

"They are not Pegasus, Ember. One wrong step could lead to sinking into waist deep mud or them breaking a leg. The cart could flood or float down stream. The risk is too high." Archer swung down from his great beast. The animal hardly swiveled an ear.

"Then let's turn back and head over the mountains. Stopping is not going to get us home any sooner."

The werewolf king didn't bother responding to me. Instead, he approached our little cart, brow furrowed.

"What are you doing? You're wasting time."

I watched as Archer took on the persona that Leo had, transforming into a cool, collected general who could take any blow without flinching. Including finding out his wife had murdered his own brother. There was a distance that couldn't be taught in the king's eyes when he placed a flat palm against my husband's pale forehead. Then he was carefully untying the bandages that he had so carefully knotted just a few hours before. Leo didn't even flutter an eyelash.

"We need to keep moving," I barked. Why did my voice sound gravelly to my own ears?

"Ember, I need you to listen to me."

"Get back on your horse! We need to get home! We can spend a few nights at your palace even, but there is no help out here."

"He's lost too much blood."

"Get back on your horse. He was talking to me in the valley. He's fine."

"That was hours ago, Ember."

"Get back on your horse. He's healing."

"He's not healing."

"Yes, he is. Once we get home—"

"He's not going to make it home, Ember. Even if the road wasn't flooded, he wouldn't make it. He's dying and I'm afraid that he doesn't have much longer left."

~~~Distraction Section~~~

You can thank @timba_pup for the update because they are reminding me often! And you can thank me for the awful cliffhanger!

Question of the Day: What fictional character do you most relate to?