Chapter 63

How had I been so blind? How had I not realized that my sole defender had been the man who slipped a wedding band on my finger? I was a fool. A complete fool. I should have seen his style, his seriousness. I should have known that was my husband and done something. Anything. Once again, I was running before I even comprehended that I was able to move. I darted down that hill, leaving my brother in arms – the raging river – behind without a second thought.

I saw a flash of red as I neared the group surrounding my still husband's form and all rational thought left my body. "You get away from him!" I shrieked. I dropped to my knees, grabbing a faceless man by the shoulders and shoving him away from Leo. "Get away! You're hurting him!"

I was so crazed that I forgot that I was no longer around friends and family. The sound of a blade scraping out of a sheath filled the air. I barely had a chance to lift my head before the pointed end of a sword was against my neck. I froze. So this was it? I had survived through hell only to be cut down by one of the men who had been loyal to me once before. I was to die before I could tell my husband the whole truth and hold his hand again.

"Don't," King Archer ordered, his voice cold and even. There was a steadiness that only a monarch could have when I peered at him. "She's in shock, just like many of us. she has been fortunate to not have to deal with war before. We all know it rattles the mind."

"Or she could be trying to end the life of yet another prince," the solider hissed, teeth flashing. The tip shifted a fraction of an inch. I knew it was enough to pierce the skin. Blood started to trickle down my throat. Though I kept my focus on the one man, I was very aware that no one else was coming to save me.

"If she wanted that she probably wouldn't have shown up here. She could have stayed on her island, safe. Besides, there are faster ways to kill men then refusing them medical attention. A quick swipe across the throat in the middle of the night is much easier." Archer gestured to a man behind him who immediately deposited a white shirt into his awaiting hands. "And my wife happens to like her so if you harm her, you can't rely on werewolf support when the faeries decide to stir the pot again, as we all know they will."

"But-" Conflict was clear on the soldier's face. I half wondered if he wanted to end my life just to reclaim a life he had lost on the field today.

"She loves him," Archer said flatly. He tore the shirt into strips with ease before glancing at me. "Ember, I need you to let us help him."

"He doesn't need your help. He's fine," I said, my voice startling me when it came out choked and brittle. "He's perfectly fine." But the blood oozing out of his mid-section and his stillness said otherwise. The armor he had been wearing was nowhere insight, yet I knew not all parts could be protected. A blade must have found an opening. But it didn't matter. We had won. That was all that counted. Everything was going to be alright.

"Go by his head," Archer suggested. "I want you to talk to him. He keeps fading in and out. See if you can keep him attentive."

I did as I was told. No one stopped me or even grumbled. I perched by his head, almost feeling bad as I looked down at his face. It seemed like he was sleeping so peacefully. It would be cruel to wake him up now, wouldn't it? But I had to trust Archer. My fingers trembled as I brushed the wet hair off his forehead, thankful that it was only sweat, not blood.

"I have so much to fix," I murmured softly. "I have so much I need to explain to you. I tried to do what Jacob wanted, but I couldn't." A faint smile touched my lips as I traced his noise. "You should have seen Pirate. You would have been so proud of him. He trusted me through everything I asked of him. He's probably going to hate me when we get home. I hit him pretty hard to get him out of here. I didn't want to risk-" No, I wouldn't think about that. Everything was fine. Everyone was well.

I rambled on for what felt like hours. I never allowed myself to glance at Archer or any of the other men surrounding us again. I heard the fabric protesting against the tight knots and the clear directions some of the men gave. It was obvious that this was not their first battle and I admired their strength. To face war the first time was brutal. To come into it a second time, to know just how horrific it could be and to still have the strength to accept the risk was bordering insanity.

But they were not my concern. My only thoughts were around Leo. I told him how well Jacob took care of me and how I found the armor and how I had forgotten my helmet but somehow made it through. I had used all of the techniques I had been taught and how I wanted to learn more of them. All of them if I could. I told him that when he woke we would swim with the blackfish together so he could understand that they were friends. They had inspired me to believe in myself.

And then, as if out of nowhere, he let out a little groan. The green eyes that I loved so much flickered open. And there was my husband.

"Em," he croaked out. He raised a hand as if he were about to touch me, but Archer was faster, catching his wrist and keeping just enough resistance that my husband gave up. My chest started to twist with panic. Leo had never been the type to forfeit to anyone. But all of my fear drifted away when he gave me a beautiful grin. "My goddess. You must be blessed by the heavens if you can survive a battle this blood without a full set of armor."

"I came for you," I whispered.

"I know. I know."

"I love you," I blurted.

"I love you too."

In that moment, I felt that my circling thoughts had been true. That everything would actually be alright. That hadn't I been a fool.

But I greatly underestimated the sheer power of war. 

~~~Distraction Section~~~

Thank you for your patience during my publishing process. The Girl with the Mouse Ears was officially released today and is now available for purchase! If you would like to support me as an author, I will be posting links on my page or you can DM.

Question of the Day: What is you favorite mixed drink?

I love a good lavender lemonade or a side car!