Chapter 55

I had watched sirens practice their art for my entire life. And seeing their power was enough to cause frenzy. Eyes glowed like moonlight, shone like the sun. Hair whipped and whirled about as if the siren were truly meters below the surface of a great ocean. And her words dripped out of her mouth in such a beautiful song that it could make anyone lose themselves. Well, as long as the focus was on them.

Like all great powers, the sirens had immense limitations. Oceana was strong and brilliant, one of the most promising of her kind. But even she could not control a whole church.

Jacob remained frozen by her command until she noticed someone else, a guard, darting up on her right. Her attention switched to this man, cornering him with her stare. She ordered him to stop. And he did, but then Jacob was released. And more and more guards were rushing up to her.

"Oceana, stop!" I shouted, knowing that I could never compel her, but praying she would listen. She could never defeat them all. 

She had established herself as a threat now. Before, she was an honoured guest with a secret. Now, she was a terrifying creature that no one in this room understood. She spun with energy, like a wave spooling before crashing. She was frightful beasts that could not be tamed or understood and humans hated that more than anything.

But she didn't listen to me. She continued to use her powers on everyone she could while other guests scampered to the back and every brave soul surged towards the front. Fear was potent in the air, but so was something else. Something that made men reckless. 

Sadly, for power to be infinite, it needed to come from a large, pure, wild source. A small basin would not suffice no more than a filthy stagnant swamp could. Her powers were dropping as she dug at her last energy source: her own blood.

"Oceana!" I screeched.

But it was too late. She uttered her last command. A single guard dropped his weapon. Her knees gave out. Another man in uniform drew his sword. There would be nothing and no one to stop him.

I was running before I even comprehended the threat. The shoes that Maisy had excitedly picked out were left in a heap as I raced forward, my sister's body limp and helpless on the church floor. Were her eyes even open? Did she know that her life was about to end? Did she know that I was the reason for her death?

With a throaty cry, I lunged through the hoard of guards - the killer they were supposed to restrain - and fell to my knees. I didn't look at my sister that I loved more than I loved myself. I didn't turn to my husband, not wanting to see the look of disgust. I didn't even glance up at the guard, knowing it would be someone I smiled at in the hallway.

I just braced for impact, eyes jammed shut, breath captured in my chest.

But the blade that I expected to slice through my neck was halted with an ear-shattering clang.

My head jerked up. And Leo was there. It wasn't the Leo I knew, his jaw set hard and his eyes distant as he flicked his wrist. The blade that had been meant for my throat was tossed aside as if it were nothing, the man wielding it just as stunned as I was. 

"Jacob." Even his voice was icy and clear. "You are going to get four other men and you are going to take Oceana and Ember up to her room. Two of you stay in the room. The other three outside. No one goes into that room or out of it. And if Oceana tries to use her siren abilities again...do what you have to."

"Leo," I croaked, my vocal cords feeling tight and stretched all at once. 

He didn't even glance at me. 

I began crying then, truly sobbing. And I didn't stop when hands grabbed at my arms, pulling me to my feet. I didn't stop when someone tossed Oceana over their shoulder, not bothering to be gentle. And I didn't stop when I was dragged out of the church, passed stunned onlookers with pale skin and wide eyes.