Chapter 14.2

"It amazes me you've all survived this long. Your observation skills are truly astounding," Hisato said, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

Flickering her gaze back to the mysteriously downed guard, she noted the small blade between his helmet and chest plating. "Godkiller throwing knives," Vatra observed. She drew her gaze back to Hisato and Spyro with a growing feeling of relief in her chest.

Hisato nodded. He planted a boot firmly on the guard's stomach and bent down to pull free his weapon. "I figured you all were the type who would go for the close combat." A childish grin parted his lips. "Predictable."

"Speaking of predictable," Vatra started, "I wouldn't have expected you all to have kept such secret abilities from me." She slapped a hand to Spyro's shoulder, and he wavered from her hit.

"I do not think now is the time for such banter," Spyro said. "Surely our positions have been noticed by now. I am not familiar with their security systems, but I am certain they must have some type that we should be concerned about."

"Yeah, yeah," Vatra dismissed with a wave of her hand.

"If I had known the plan was to phase through the walls, I would have joined it," Nat said. "It would have been better than standing around scratching my head."

An equal look of confusion crossed the faces of everyone else in the group.

"What are you again, love?" Enyalius asked with an almost comical level of bluntness.

Nat sighed. "A loa. I get it, I'm not a very interesting spirit to you guys. You all must be used to the very exciting gods and spirits. I can see as much in the limited time I've been stuck with you."

"Feel free to use your abilities next time and grab a weapon. Take advantage of the time you have to strike down an enemy," Enyalius said.

She must think we're assholes, Vatra thought.

The six of them moved away from the fallen guards with no real sense of direction. They pressed along the right wall and moved in a single line, Vatra being pushed to the front. She disliked the fact she was leading the pack.

It was odd how a group always found its own natural leader. Even though every single person in the group might have been equally unprepared, or unwilling, for the situation at hand.

Vatra had absolutely no idea where they were going. She only wanted to find Ares at that point, but she had to pretend that wasn't a goal of hers. No, she had to make it appear that she wanted them to leave the vessel. To escape.

Of course I want to escape, she thought with a scowl. Vatra was allowing her idea of revenge to poison her own logical thought processes. She held a hand to her chest and kept her other wrapped around her godkiller at her side.

But if I couldn't get my revenge with Enyalius, maybe I could finally find some peace by killing Ares. I won't get another chance. Assuming these damned weapons work.

Her thoughts wheeled. They controlled Vatra's feet. She found herself lost in a maze of halls, lost from the trail of people that followed her loyally and unassuming.

"Vatra!"

A rough hand pulled Vatra back into the moment before she turned a corner without looking. Vatra's back slammed against the wall and she felt someone slip past her before the hollow steps of four other people went by. The hand never moved from her forearm.

Blinking a few times, Vatra steadied her vision blinded by rage and confusion and desperation. Spyro settled into her line of sight.

"I do not think you were leading us to the Agkistrodon. Are you all right? Your heartbeat is normal, but you do not appear to be in the correct state of mind," Spyro said. His voice was low, dropped so only she could hear him.