Chapter 13.1

A katana hung heavy in Vatra's grip. The blade wasn't particularly weighted, but her hand felt weak. She tightened her fingers around the finely-wrapped tsuka. Vatra turned on her heel and faced the two guards that had finally woken up.

"Where'd you get these weapons?" Vatra questioned. She held the katana in front of her, enunciating her words with a threatening wobble of the tip of the blade in their direction.

Having removed the guards' helmets, Vatra watched their expressions carefully. They weren't restrained, but it didn't look like they were going to make a move to escape or arm themselves. Perhaps they knew what happened if a mortal wielded a godkiller with the intent to harm.

One of the men leaned forward, elbows propped on his knees and hands splayed out in front of him. It was as if he didn't have a care in the world. "Here and there," he replied coolly.

Vatra scoffed. She narrowed her gaze at the man and dropped her hand to her side. The katana narrowly missed scraping the floor.

The guard that had spoken was older than the other. There wasn't a spot of stubble on his chin, and his head was completely shaven. Strong facial features and deep, brown eyes commanded a sense of confidence that was also reflected in the way he acted. He was clearly the one to avoid questioning.

Taking note of the older guard's resolve, Vatra turned her attention to the younger man. The guard hadn't peeled his eyes from his dead companion since he'd woken up. It was obvious Vatra's willingness to kill had shaken him.

Good, Vatra thought. He'll be easy enough to break.

"What's your name, kid?" Vatra asked. She ignored the older guard completely and stepped into view of the one she addressed.

"Ferguson, ma'am," the guard answered. His widened, blue eyes never left the face of the dead guard.

"Idiot," the older guard murmured.

Vatra itched to just get rid of the grumpy man, but she didn't want to completely terrorize the young guard. She wasn't a total monster.

"That's your first name?" Vatra continued.

"Joel," he replied quietly. "My name is Joel Ferguson."

"Ah," Vatra started, "so, tell me, Joel. Where did you guys get all these weapons?"

The young guard didn't reply.

"Surely you don't have all of the owners of these weapons on board," Vatra said. "I know some of these guys, and they certainly wouldn't have gone quietly."

"Easy to go quietly when you're already dead," the old guard growled. He leaned between Vatra and Joel so she couldn't see the young guard's face. "We didn't need all of them alive, but we wanted the weapons out of the hands of those like you. Murderers."

"So, you needed some alive?" Vatra raised a brow. "Maybe I should have been asking you the questions instead. You're giving me information so freely."

The man's jaw visibly flexed in frustration.

"Look, don't get me wrong. I'm extremely supportive of the idea to get rid of the power hungry gods out there. I've been known to dispatch a few here and there. So, from one god killer to the next, pun not intended," she paused to shake the katana in her hand, "tell me where you're keeping Ares. I've got a bone to pick with the guy."

"You're not going to ask where your friends are?" the older guard questioned with a tone of disbelief.

"Now you're just making me sound like an asshole," Vatra said, a deep frown tugging at her lips. "That was my next question, you impatient donkey. I can ask more than one, can't I? I'm the one holding the godkiller."

In her moment of distraction, Vatra hadn't kept a close eye on Joel. The young guard, who'd been so transfixed by the guard Vatra had killed, apparently broke his trance in a split second. Joel leapt to his feet and darted across the room. Unfortunately for him, he didn't head towards the door.

Oh, he isn't as smart as I thought he was, Vatra thought. She watched Joel with curiosity as he chose a godkiller from the racks of weapons.

"No, Ferguson! You idiot! You can't use that weapon!" The old guard's warning fell on ears deafened by panic.

Joel spun to face Vatra with an axe gripped tightly in his fists. Though his dirty blonde hair was cut short, the longer hairs stuck around his forehead with sweat. It wasn't sweat from exertion that sprung to his face. The poor kid was terrified.

"C'mon, Joel, buddy. Don't be stupid. Listen to your friend over there. You can't fight me with that weapon," Vatra said.

She wasn't sure why she was trying to help him. There was a probability she was going to kill both of them before leaving the room, anyway. Mostly because she didn't have anything to restrain them with. However, watching the fear in his eyes made her pity the kid.

"No, no!" Joel shouted. "I've seen what your kind does. I'm not going to let you leave this room!"

Running forward, Joel swung the axe up over his head.

Vatra didn't move. She sighed, watching with an overwhelming sense of inconvenience. Well, at least Joel went down swinging.

Joel took five or so strides before he got close enough to swing the axe down to Vatra. As he did, every inch of his skin instantaneously blackened to ash. He disappeared as if blown away by a puff of air, the axe twirling down from the ash cloud.

The smell of soot, like that of an old, forgotten fireplace, filled Vatra's nostrils. She tasted the grit between her teeth; an audible crunch sounded when she flexed her jaw. A grimy and thick layer of what once was Joel settled over Vatra's skin within moments. She pushed the morbidity of it all from her mind.

With little effort, Vatra caught the axe in her left hand and rested it across her shoulder. "You boys never learn, do you?" Vatra tutted at the old guard. "Humans are just as cocky as they were thousands of years ago. Even when he knew he couldn't wield a godkiller, poor Joel thought he was somehow going to change that."

"He was scared," the guard said through gritted teeth. "Something you wouldn't know a thing about."

Her grip on the axe and katana weakened. Both hands felt like they were holding elephants. "I've known my fair share of fear," Vatra shot. "You don't know a thing about me."

"No? I think whatever you are, you're just as bad as those gods we've got locked up. Heartless, murderous-"

Vatra didn't entertain the guard's insults. She landed a hard kick to the side of his head, sending him sprawling out across the ground. Dropping the axe, Vatra twirled the katana in her right hand and momentarily considered finishing the job.

No, he's out cold. I need to stay focused, Vatra thought.