Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

            Varian stiffened knowing Pearly's ability to sense others and anything peculiar about them.

            Alessandro stared at Pearly with intrigue.

            Pearly turned toward Varian and eyed him curiously, "Have you a mate, dark one?"

            Alessandro appeared seemingly startled and raised his dark gaze to where Varian stood, rigid, rightfully tense.

            Sensing his unease, Talon stepped forward, "Should we not make haste and leave before other humans come?"
            Alessandro turned to meet Talon's worried expression, "You have made certain to dispose of those who've already made that error, yes?" he motioned to the array of bodies spread amongst the floor.

            Talon's face hardened, "You don't suggest I enjoyed that?"

            Alessandro smirked, "Why not ask the monster that resides in you?"

            Talon took a threatening step forward as did Alessandro, his grin fading all at once.

            Blanch interrupted, "Enough." She commanded, her eyes flashing daggers as she peered at the two heated vampires. "I don't think my father would take your jesting so lightly, Alessandro."

            Alessandro averted his heated stare to Blanch and his eyes softened a fraction, though faint the glimmer was she had noticed it, instinctively aware of his attraction to her, now under that penetrating stare, her bravado wavered and she stepped back.

            "What say your father once he learns of the half-breed turned mate?" Pearly stepped forward, catching Blanch unaware and peering at Varian, added, "And that you were to destroy her when she was human and failed to do so?"

            Varian said nothing, the muscle at his jaw growing tauter as their eyes connected powerfully.

            Pearly inclined her head, her senses pulling and tugging, "I feel the sun, it won't be long now."

            Alessandro tilted his head upward, his nostrils flaring wide at the distinct smell of something other, "I smell wolf."

            Talon and Varian exchanged glances.

            "We must go." Pearly announced, dismissing the matter, gliding smoothly to Varian's side she said, "You will fetch your mate." It wasn't a request, Varian knew, but a command.

            Varian knew nothing good would come of their intentions for Lily but he would see to laying bodies to the ground, even an elder if need be, to ensure her wellbeing.

Lily

             Her world had been flipped upside down since turned. She couldn't possibly compare her once semi-boring, very routine-like life, to the sudden chaotic turn of events that's taken her completely and unsuspectingly for a loop.

            She clung to Varian's arm, comforted by his presence and feeling that distinct thread that bound them as one. How could she have not wanted this? She had longed for love but having never dreamt it came with a set of fangs. She nearly laughed aloud at her musings. Did she not dream about Varian? Had he not sought her through her dreams; seducing her with that irresistible, dark enchanting charm that was all him?

            She couldn't imagine being anywhere else but at his side. Even if it meant coming face to face with the oldest and strongest bloodline known to vampires? Or so that was the impression she was getting and most certainly feeling. She felt their power; it was unlike anything she'd ever encountered. The small female was beautiful, all else paling in comparison to her extreme loveliness. The man was dark and just as frightening. They moved gracefully with an air of certainty.