What Just Happened?

Molly.

I feel so relaxed when I wake up. Then I remember where I am, realise Danny isn't here and panic. Shit! What time is it?

I jump up and find my watch. It's only 10:30, so I still half an hour and a half before my appointment. I really don't want to go.

I get dressed and go to find Danny.

He's sitting in his living room with a mug of tea watching the news.

"Morning sleepy! How are you? Do you want breakfast?"

"Hey, morning. I'm okay thanks, I slept well for once. And I'll pass on breakfast, thanks for the offer though."

"C'mon, you gotta eat something. Come to the kitchen, and then you can tell me why you're only okay, alright?"

Fuck, he's good at picking up on how I'm feeling. I hope he's not this good at persuasion.

I follow him to the kitchen and sit on a stool at the breakfast bar. He starts going through all his cupboards, laying out random boxes and packets of food in front of me, clearly in a bid to make me eat something.

"So what are you having? And are you going to tell me what's on your mind?"

He looks at me questioningly, leaning with stretched arms on the bar.

"Danny, you know what I'm like with food, but I'll have a hot chocolate if that'll shut you up?"

"Only if I can put marshmallows in it for you?"

"Ugh, fine then!"

He flicks on the kettle and starts putting everything away again, except for the Rice Krispies. He pours himself a massive bowl, then continues clearing up and preparing drinks.

"You still haven't told me what's wrong." He casually remarks.

Fuck. I thought I'd managed to avoid it.

"Nothing's wrong, I'm fine. Honest." I smile at him.

"Liar." He says as he sits down opposite me.

He gives me a look, one that says he clearly knows I'm lying and that he's not giving in.

"Okay! I give in! I'm scared about today, alright. I don't want to go. In fact, I might not." I tell him, sighing.

He nearly chokes on his cereal. The kettle finishes boiling & he gets up to pour the drinks.

"You are going, even if I have to drag you there myself. They're only trying to help you, you of all people should know that!"

"Alright then, dad!" I say sarcastically.

"But would you come with me?" I ask quietly.

"Do you want me to?" He looks at me with soft eyes, sitting back down with our drinks.

"Yeah, if you wouldn't mind." I glance up at him, questioning.

"Of course not! I told you I'll do my best to help and I meant it."

He takes my hand in both of his and looks at me with a deep look, showing his sincerity.

"Okay," I smile at him, "you got plans for today?"

"Nope, why?" Did you have something in mind?

I ask if he wants to do something, and we finally settle on having a walk around the shops since I need some new warmer clothes.

Danny walked with me to the hospital, and waited for me. Luckily, my appointment didn't take long.

We were in the lift from the 5th floor, on our way out of the hospital, discussing where to go first when suddenly the lights went out and the lift jolted to a stop.

"Fuck. I hope this alarm button works," Danny muttered.

He pressed it, and a man spoke to us through the intercom, saying they would fix it as soon as possible, but it could be up to an hour.

Well, at least I wasn't alone, and there was some light from the emergency light.

I was standing with my forehead leaning against one of the walls when I got a fright.

"BOO!" Danny shouted at me, as he lightly grabbed my shoulders.

I jumped, spun around and pushed him gently.

"Danny! You prick!" I shouted, half giggling.

"Who's a prick?" He joked, pushing me into the back corner, trying to trap me.

"You are!" I responded, escaping under his high arms.

Danny spin around, and swiftly but gently lifted and pushed me into the other back corner, resting me on the hand railings and pinning my arms against the walls. He came in close so I wouldn't fall and couldn't escape.

"Say that again, I dare you." He whispered into my ear, trying not to laugh.

He then looked at me, he had a strange, intense look in his eyes. Suddenly, everything felt serious, and I noticed he was breathing deeply.

I felt myself breathing deeply too, and an odd feeling stirred in the pit of my stomach.

Neither of us were giggling anymore.

Danny edged closer, and I could feel his warm breath on my cheeks, when suddenly the lights came back on and the lift jerked back into life.

Danny stepped back, and I jumped down from the railings, adjusting my top.

Neither of us said anything. We went shopping as if nothing had happened.

But we both knew we were lying to ourselves.