Anchor

My trip to the lake house was much needed, as the second I get back home, Stiles and Scott are sitting outside, ready to take me to a crime scene. 

♡︎

Scott and I watch as Stiles makes his way to the cop car that Derek is cuffed in, and we both quietly call after him in a panic. 

"No!"

"Oh god!"

In unison, we turn away from the disaster that is bound to happen, and pretend to be admiring the woods. "Wow, that's a really cool lookin' stick!" I announce loudly, hoping for people to fall for my act. 

"Shh! You're gonna call attention to us!" Scott says, hiding his face in his hands. 

I turn back around to see Stiles being dragged out of the cop car by his dad, and quickly face my body back to the woods. I look over to Scott, who is listening in on their conversation. I'm too lazy to try and listen, so I just wait for Scott to explain it to me. 

"His dad just found out that we were in the woods with him that night." 

"lovely." I say sarcastically, while plastering on an obnoxious, full teeth smile. 

Stiles comes running up behind us, and practically tosses me into his car. 

"We need to leave." He grabs his keys and fiddles with them, trying to get one in the ignition. Once he is successful, he quickly starts the car, and pulls onto the street going 60. 

Scott is staring at his phone, searching through google to find anything he possibly can on wolfsbane. "I can't find anything about it being used for burial." He finally says, looking defeated. 

"What about you Maeve?" Stiles throws his hand behind him, trying to tap me to get my attention. He is unable to reach me, and ends up tossing around his hand in the back seat. "Learn anything about it in that botox class you took?"

"You mean botany?" I respond, feeling myself start to get unreasonably irritable. "And no." 

"Maybe it's a special skill? Like you have to learn it?" he says, trying to find an answer. 

I watch Scott's eyes roll so far back in his head that they might as well fall into his brain. Seems like him and I woke up on the same side of the bed today. 

"Maybe it's different for girl wolves." He continues, before being cut off my Scott and I. 

"Okay, Stop it!" We both yell, causing Stiles to nearly crash the car. 

"Stop saying 'werewolves' and stop enjoying this so much!" Scott is doubled over in his seat, and I feel like my insides are about to fly out of my mouth. I start rolling down the window in fear that I might vomit on Stiles' seats. 

"Are you guys okay?" Stiles asks, the concern growing on his face as he speeds up the car. 

"No!" I feel my breath start to get pulled away from my lungs, a familiar feeling of the asthma attacks I got as a young child. 

"I am so far from okay!" Scott says, responding to Stiles. "I can't breathe!" 

I try to get out the words and agree with Scott, but instead I let out wheezes. I feel my hands make their way up to my throat, gripping at the neck of my shirt, desperately trying to make more room for air. 

Stiles pulls over the car as Scott screams at him for keeping the wolfsbane. 

Unable to get air into my lungs, I don't say anything in response. My hands continue pulling at my neck, one of them now scratching at it. My mouth opens and my chest convulses as I fail to breath. I watch as Stiles grabs the bag and tosses it out of the car while Scott runs away. 

"Okay, we're good! You can-" he sticks his head in the car and notices Scott is gone. In a panic, he whips his head towards me, and is relieved to see I haven't run off as well.

With the wolfsbane out of site, I feel my breath start to return, but I am still barely breathing, now inhaling in small gasps. I had to pull my hands away from my neck after noticing my claws making an appearance, not wanting to slash my own neck. Stiles reluctantly climbs into the back seat and grabs onto my shoulders, whispering to himself, "please don't kill me, please don't kill me. Don't shift, don't shift."  

I feel his hands loosen on my arms as my claws disappear. He grabs the emergency inhaler from his center console and shakes it, before handing it to me. My hand misses it as I try to grab it, most likely from the dizziness that comes with the asthma. He places it in my hand, and I quickly use it, thankful to have some sort of breathing sensation back. 

♡︎

I have made my way to the front seat of Stiles' car as we look for Scott. My chest is on fire, but now that we are far away from the wolfsbane, I feel my body healing itself. 

Stiles has taken it upon himself to call the police station and talk to one of the dispatchers. 

"Stiles, you know you can't call the dispatch when I'm on duty." The voice sternly responds on the phone. 

Clearly, this isn't the first time he's done this. 

"I just need to know, have you gotten any odd calls?" he asks, despite the dispatchers obvious uninterested in the conversation. 

"Odd how?"

"Like...a dog-like individual roaming the streets?" He asks, struggling to make the question sound less stupid. 

"I'm hanging up now." The voice says in an unamused tone. 

"No! Wa-wai-wait!" He desperately tries to catch the attention of the dispatcher before they hang up, but is unable to. 

Stiles unconsciously tosses his phone into the passenger seat, nailing me in the eye with it. I scream out in agony, and Stiles swerves the car while yelling, "Oh my god! I'm so sorry!" 

I double over in pain with my hand covering my eye, waiting for it to heal. He reaches his hand over to see if I'm okay, but I quickly smack it out of the way. "i'm fine, just give me a minute!" I sit there for about 30 seconds before sitting myself back up and looking to Stiles. 

"You're lucky I didn't shift and rip your arm off." 

"Yeah, speaking of?" he says, "Why did Scott shift, but you didn't? So far today, two things could have caused you to shift. The wolfsbane and my phone nearly taking out your eye... Sorry about that by the way. But, why didn't you shift?"

"I was about to, but then you got in the car and gave me the inhaler. Maybe stopping the asthma also stopped the shift." I say, coming up with the best answer I can think of. 

"but your claws went away before I even gave you the inhaler, after I got in the car?" He says, still sounding just as confused as he did before I answered his first question. 

"hmm..." I hum, wishing I had an answer for him. The best I can come up with is "maybe I am better at controlling it than Scott." 

♡︎

A/N: Sorry this part kinda sucks guys, I'm really busy with school but still wanted to get a part out. <3