Chapter 29

To put it simply, I feel like crap. I was more focused on my pounding head then what my best friend was rambling on about, but I've already taken four different types of pills today, so I couldn't do much.

“Hey, Cindy?” I heard Bethany’s voice, and I tilted my head to gaze up at her. “You feeling alright? You look kinda sick…”

“No, I’m fine.” I lied, sitting up from my slumped position. Honestly, I thought I caught the flu or something, because lately I’ve had a stuffy nose, couching, sore throat, an upset stomach, the list goes on. What’s even worse was that I caught it a week ago, and it still hasn’t gone away yet.

“I can see that you’re sick or something.” She replied, scooting closer, placing her elbows on the table and placing her hands under her chin. “Come on, tell me what’s up.”

 “I’m fine, really.” I shot at her for the umpteenth time.

She had her eyes on me, narrowing more and more every second. “Okay…” She whispered, backing away from me, and I let out my breath. I honestly didn't want to come to school today, but it was a B-day, so I had Choir. And today was the day he was deciding solos, because our concert was in three weeks. I hoped my crappy voice wouldn't affect my singing though.

"Come on, let's just go to Choir." I muttered, picking up my stuff. I felt myself starting to fall over, but Bethany ran up and caught me by the side.

"No, you're sick." She stated, and I caught my balance. "Why don't you go home?"

"Do you know who my ride is?" I asked, and she dropped her shoulders, shooting me a glare.

"Really?" She asked, and I nodded. "Then you're stuck, I can't help you."

"I know…" I whispered as we reached Choir, and was greeted by Mr. Smith.

"Hey Bethany, and staple girl." He laughed, but I headed past him as Bethany stayed behind. "What's wrong with her?"

That's all I heard of the conversation before I was out of earshot, meeting Lucas at the piano, playing the piano part for Beauty and the Beast. I started to sing it, but my voice cracked and I slumped back at the weakness. I couldn't sing today no matter how many people were going to make me try.

"Hey." He greeted, standing up from the piano, walking around to the side I was on and leaned against it. "You feel any better today?"

"No." I stated simply before collapsing on the nearest chair.

"I'm sorry." He stated, sitting next to me. "I would take you home, but I have to stay."

"I know." I muttered, rubbing the sides of my head. "Do you have work after school?"

"Yeah, unfortunately." He muttered, and the nauseous feeling came back to me. "I'll drive you home though. I'll leave early today, I don't care."

"Nah, it's okay, I'll go to Bethany's." I assured him, and he nodded.

"Can you actually make it there this time? I don't know where the Eurasian are." He laughed, making me chuckle lightly, even though it wasn't a funny subject.

"Yeah, I won't go outside the building this time." I promised, and he smiled and walked back to the piano as the other girls started entering, including Bethany. I crawled up to the next row and sat down in my seat as Mr. Smith silenced us, coming around and standing in front of the piano.

"Okay ladies, you all know the solo auditions are today." He stated, and some of the girls around me shrieked, making my head fall into my hands in annoyance and pain. "Anyone who wants to audition has to do it now."