30 - Glimmer Ball (3/3)

!! Trigger Warning: Homophobia, Violence !!

I felt nothing when I followed the broad-shouldered shadow out of the building. Most people would've probably felt anger, sadness, or they would be hurt. But I didn't. Through the dancing snowflakes, he led me over the premises towards the sports ground – back to where it all began.

I shivered after only a few steps in the cold. But for once I was not afraid. No, I didn't think he would hurt me. The only thing I wondered was, how I could've been so oblivious? Why now? Why him?

"Ken."

Kenner was facing me with a look on his face I couldn't read. He had crossed his arms over the black dress shirt clinging tightly to his broad chest. Unlike me, he didn't wear a suit jacket, but I guessed the wrath inside his body was enough to keep him warm.

I gulped. "Defender, I guess."

He didn't reply but he didn't need to. Since yesterday's incident, I'd tried to figure out who my former guildmate might be IRL. It had to be someone who was fond of Clay, someone who knew more than he showed. Rapidly, my list narrowed down to his teammates – before all of this started, I would've never thought that a popular kid might be into games. But Lou and Fynn had changed my view on who might or might not be secretly hiding behind an online avatar. Then I tried to match Defender's behavior and his absence to someone I knew.

I vaguely remembered that the first time Defender missed our guild night had been back in September. More precisely, it had been the Friday after I stumbled into the locker room. The day Drake, and...yeah, you know.

Defender used to be one of our most reliable members, but I guessed that seeing what happened on that day, had been quite a shock he'd had to get over. The second time he disappeared was...after the party. And then...he vanished again after the tournament; when we met Lady Lad and Fynn and we made a big show of introducing her as our gaming mate. It all made sense now. Except...

"How long did you know?"

He frowned. "About what?"

"Who I am!"

"Wow."

"What?!"

He lowered his arms until they were hanging loosely on his sides. "You're trying everything to get out of this as the good guy, huh?"

I blinked. "What?"

Kenner laughed bitterly. "You want to give me a bad conscience for not interfering. Do you really think I would've allowed you to get close to my captain if I had known that you were using him for money?!"

I winced. "Kenner...that's..."

"I don't get why I ever thought you were a good guy!" Kenner stormed towards me and I had no idea what to expect. What...he would do.

But I expected the worst.

Closing my eyes, I waited for the first hit.

But it never came.

When I slowly opened my eyes, Kenner wasn't even looking at me. His gaze was turned to the sports hall. The wind carried the sound of slow music over to us, lights were dancing through the building's window, illuminating the pitch-black sky.

His voice was quiet. "You really think I'd hit you?"

I winced.

He shook his bald head. "You should know me better...but then, I don't seem to know you at all." Only now did he look at me. Pain and the feeling of betrayal were fighting in his eyes. "Who are you, Ken? I thought I knew you! But the boss I know from WizQ and the boy I got to know here in school would never use Clay's feelings for money!"