32 - Uncooperative And Hostile At Times

Start from the beginning

I almost don't recognize Doc who has cleaned up nicely and is wearing a fashionable pair of slacks and a button up shirt with a peppy tie but no jacket. He has found a seat in the last row close to the door and is indulged in his report, not showing any reaction to my arrival. I slouch in my chair until a scolding gaze from my father lets me remember that my attitude could be improved and I straighten up in obedience. No need to piss off anyone else even more than I already have.

The judge swoops in after an "all rise" and begins the proceedings. Her name is Laura Mitchellson and according to Mr. Porter, a lucky draw. So far, she has not impressed me - she never even considered bail and has been eating out of Marcus's hand. So far, every single motion my lawyer filed has been denied while his passed with little effort.

Doc's name is called and he steps forward to the stand, raising his right hand to be sworn in. He takes a seat in the witness box and for the first time, gives me a short look over before focusing on Marcus.

"Your honor," Marcus begins. "I am sure we all agree that Dr. Sullivan is being called here as an expert witness and I don't want to waste the court's time to review his qualifications if the defense does not object."

Mr. Porter shakes his head. "We do not, your honor."

Marcus gives him a smug smile before addressing Doc. "Dr. Sullivan, you had the opportunity to interview Ms. Cooper and have also submitted a report which I would like to review. Could you please summarize for the court your overall impressions of the defendant?"

Doc glances at me, his face even. "Ms. Cooper presented herself as a well composed young woman without any immediate signs of mental illness. Her speech was coherent, she was alert and there was no sign of her being under the influence of any medication. I reviewed her medical file and she has not been treated for any mental disorder including depression or trauma."

"How was Ms. Cooper's attitude towards you?" Marcus has a wicked smile around his lips, he knows from the report that I wasn't on my best behavior and will use this to my disadvantage.

"Overall, she was quite hostile and uncooperative. At some point, she refused to continue with the interview." Doc's words are spoken without the slightest nuance of disapproval but still manage to make me feel like a total jerk. I should have been nicer to him, after all, he was only doing his job.

"Did that surprise you?" Marcus probes.

"I don't see the relevance of your question, Mr. Forrester," Doc replies sharply to my astonishment. "I am not here to talk about my personal feelings and would prefer to stick to the facts."

There is a pressing silence after his flare-up and Marcus sucks in a deep breath. His face has turned to stone.

"My apologies, Doctor. I was just trying to get a feel for the defendant's attitude."

Doc chooses not to comment and takes a sip from the glass of water in front of him instead. Marcus ruffles through some papers on the desk before continuing.

"Could you please outline to the court your psychological diagnosis of the defendant?"

"Certainly." Doc gazes at me. "I noticed that Ms. Cooper suffers from severe abandonment issues resulting from the early death of her mother such as little self-worth and the fear that other people will desert her. That is one of the main reasons why she stayed with Mr. Parks despite credible evidence that he abused her over the course of their relationship. She clung onto him to avoid the feeling of loneliness."

He pauses to take a few mouthfuls of water and I start to pop out invisible dirt from underneath my fingernails with the tip of my thumb after realizing that all the lawyers from the State's Attorney's Office are staring at me.