VI.

Ollivander pulled out boxes and boxes but none chose her and Adelaide could feel the disappointment setting in. Maybe she wasn't a witch...

Maybe when Adelaide died, the magic within her died as well,

She knew it,

She doesn't belong here,

She wasn't supposed to be alive.

The self deprecating thoughts were like a vicious snake, slithering from her legs towards her neck and slowly trying to cut off her air supply.

She was distracted from her thoughts when Ollivander called out.

"13 inches," He said pulling out another wand. "Yew wood, Dragon heartstring core, Unbending and flexible,"

Adelaide took it and swished it. She looked around.

"No, not this one," Ollivander said and snatched the wand away from her and brought another.

"10 inches, sycamore wood and unicorn hair," he said. "Excellent for charms, rather bendy,"

Adelaide took it and gave a small flick. The chair burst into flames.

"No, no," Ollivander muttered and put that wand away too, and brought yet another wand for her to try.

Numerous boxes piled up, each one just as disappointing as the previous one. Adelaide felt her heart dropping as the boxes kept piling up. Boxes and boxes and boxes, but not one fit for her. . .

"Not to worry, not to worry," Ollivander said. "We shall find the right wand for you,"

Finally, after quite a lot of time, Ollivander brought an old, dusty case. Most of the boxes were dusty, but this one was much, much dustier than the others.

He blew on the cover, and a thick swirl of dust blew away.

Adelaide stepped back, her face scrunched up, waving away the dust which had flown at her.

"11 3/4 inches, alder wood, phoenix feather core. Slightly springy, flexible. Here you go." He said opening the box and picking up the wand tenderly.

The wand was nothing like she had ever seen before, it was gorgeous and the glow around it that she assumed only she could see was ethereal, like Aurora Borealis, there was no other word to describe that glow that drawed her in.

And before she could even comprehend what she was doing, she picked up the wand gently.

Adelaide felt a spark travel from her fingers and up her spine the moment she held the wand. It was a weird feeling that spread through her bones. This was the one, this wand was meant to be hers.

Ollivander smiled, "A unique wand indeed. I made this one decades ago. Never has it chosen a wizard or witch before, although it had been tried numerous times. Unyielding yet loyal. I remember, the Phoenix was a wild one, quite unwilling to give his feather. Do good things with it,"

Adelaide put the wand in her pocket as she walked out of the shop after paying, the tingling still remaining in her fingers. She was a witch. She had a wand. Maybe she really did belong.

She squinted, trying to adjust her eyes as she walked away from Diagon Alley to the muggle world where her parents would be waiting.

The first thing she did after reaching home was going through everything that happened that day, it felt surreal, like it was a dream come true, but that annoying little voice in the back of her head that she was trying to ignore kept telling her that even if Adelaide Gibson gave up her body willingly, Stella Devon could never be deserving of it.

She didn't sleep that night, thinking about what her future was going to entail.