Ch. 32 - The trolley

Start from the beginning

~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

***The bus for this scene is raised a foot higher than typical, to allow for plenty of space to maneuver underneath

***The bus for this scene is raised a foot higher than typical, to allow for plenty of space to maneuver underneath. Brad drives it steady as Keanu climbs onto the red trolley, gripping the sides with white knuckles. He bites at his lips, his insides varying between nerves and adrenaline. The trolley is slowly released and heads toward them. They stare in silence just before his face disappears from her view, under the bus. Her palms are sweaty, her foot hovering above the brake, despite its futility.

***"This guy is nuts!" Stephens speaks his line.

"CUT!" Jan calls through the headphones.

The stunt coordinator yanks Keanu out from under the bus as they've practiced several times before.

Wagging her head and closing her eyes, Sandra removes her trembling hands from the wheel. There's a collective sigh of relief as Brad brings the bus to a halt. She looks up toward the sky. Thank God that's over.

The cast takes a few minutes to get drinks and touch up their makeup. Jan calls Sandra and Keanu to the side where he has the metal sled they'll be riding as they escape the bus, leaning against a couple cement blocks in a forty-five degree angle. Attached to the metal ring at the top is a rope. The production company has a special license for the airport explosion scene, and it has to be executed today.

"We need to go over how you'll get on the sled, guys. Sandra's first, and you'll clutch onto him when he joins you."

Jan holds the rope up in the air as though it is attached to the bus. Sandra slides on, her muslin skirt inching up as she moves. She grasps the side of the sled and lets out some shaky laughter, as she waits a millennia for him to join her.

He lowers himself onto the sled with ease, waiting for direction. They spend the next few minutes working things out: his arm lands here, her hand grabs there, both of them stoic and measured. When they settle on the details, Jan gives them a thumbs up. Both of them hop up like they've been lying on a bed of hot coals, him scraping a hand through his hair, her eyeing the rest of the cast.