Chapter Nine

Lady in Waiting

“Time felt slower when we do nothing but wait.” - Toba Beta

Am I dead? I wondered, is this what death feels like? I hope not, I feel terrible. I just stood in the middle of darkness with nothingness surrounding me. I have no idea how long I have been here but I really didn't care either, it was so much calmer here than wherever I was before. Except this time my throat hurts and it hurts very bad to speak.

I could only make little whimpers, nothing strenuous. I feel I couldn't move my body either, but I knew I could, I just wasn't trying hard enough. So I was just sitting there, black surrounding me, listening to nothing but a few whispers here and there. I tried to make myself feel better by thinking about my family, friends and alpha, but it didn't work.

When I could I could hear actual voices sometimes I could never fully understand what they were saying. My brain just didn't want to process any of their words. I wish I could hear them better; maybe they would entertain me and keep me company so I wasn't so lonely.

Each day the voices got louder and louder, at first they were barely there but then after some time passed I could hear them better, don't ask how much time had passed because I wouldn't be able to tell you, a few hours maybe? I have no idea. Right now the voices were just above whispers but if I closed my eyes I could hear them but just barely.

I think I had my eyes closed, like I said, thought, I closed them but I couldn't really tell because of the surrounding darkness, I just had two of my senses that worked hearing and feeling. The only thing I could hear was my thoughts, the voices, and barely there dripping of something I could never find. The only thing I could feel was myself and the coldness of the darkness.

I could feel myself sitting back as I listened in. "When do you think she'll wake up? She's been out for almost a week. I'm starting to worry about her." one of the voices said, it was a female as far as I could tell, the voice almost sounded familiar, or maybe it was just my imagination.

There were other voices too but they mixed in with each other. I could catch a few words here and there but together they didn't mean anything. They were just a bunch of jumbled words. It was silent once again and I began waiting once again so that I could hear them.

Adriana sat there for a while thinking about her hiding spot and how ingenious she thought it was. Sometimes hiding out in the open was the best to hide. She sighed though wondering how long she was going to have to stay here for because she was already bored. Now she was almost wishing she was found so that she could leave. As you can tell she's very impatient.

She yawned as she looked at her watch which just made her even more impatient. It was five to nine, the games have already started for the guys, or so she thought they did, maybe they have to give the last group to go in time to hide too? This means they won't be released for another five minutes.

Adriana groaned as she had little to nothing for entertainment. She knew she was going to be found eventually today but it was a mix of her impatience and her fear that caused her to want to both be found and not to be found. Then a thought stuck her that made her sigh, and she laughed a little thinking about how lonely she was. She knew being alone wasn't funny unless you loved being alone, but she couldn't help it as she started singing to herself.

"Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy mating games Adriana~ happy birthday to me~...Ya happy birthday you're hiding from a guy who wants to take you home for himself and you lose everything you've ever loved in a single night. Great day isn’t it?" She whispered sarcastically to herself.

She sighed to herself as she hoped he wouldn't show up, but she knew if he didn't then her the next bidder up would get her, despite how rare that was she wished it would happen. That way she can run away from him easier because he's not a councilman.