Chapter Eight

It Begins

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.” - Arthur Conan Doyle

Adriana stuffed the book into her bag, she would make sure she would read it later while she was hiding if she got a good enough hiding spot. After stuffing the book in her bag she decided that it would be a good idea to take a shower, she had more than enough time. Plus, she would get a chance to think more about the book and what it meant.

As she stood in the shower she came up with her plan on how to hide from her bidder. She had packed unscented shampoo and body wash so that she could blend in with the woods by going natural. After a while she shut off the shower and got out. She looked at herself in the mirror and took a deep breath; she remembered her life and the scars she wore, mentally and physically.

She's lived through many regrets and made choices that obviously weren't the best. However, no matter how rough things got she kept moving, kept fighting, kept living, and that's how it was supposed to be. No matter the obstacle, she'll get through it.

No matter what happens to her today, tomorrow or even the next day, she'll keep moving on, keep fighting more and most importantly keep living her life how she wants it. NOT how someone else wants her to live. Even if she's forced to live with someone she may hate, she won't give in. If she falls in love on her own terms, she will love him.

"Adriana! It's almost time to leave!" Heather called from outside the bathroom. "Kay!" Adriana yelled back as she got dressed into black jeans and black tank top before pulling her hair into a messy bun. Before leaving the bathroom she looked back into the mirror. It was time to move on, fight on and live on.

Adriana sighed as she looked back and turned off the lights, she may be able to fool the mirror but she couldn't fool herself, she was scared shit-less. "Ready?" Heather asked as she opened the door to the hall. Adriana simply nodded as she grabbed her bag.

As they left the room and walked down the hall to conference room 5A she noticed many girls outside their rooms. Some girls were still half asleep and wobbling around trying to wake up. Others were already dressed and happy, excited for the new adventure they were going to be taking. Then there were those few who looked unsure, scared, and sad. Those were the girls she sympathized with because she felt the same way.

When Adriana looked away she noticed Heather had met another girl with the same time as us and we ended up walking together. They talked excitedly wondering who their mates would be and what they were like. If Adriana looked back at her video she would be able to tell them about the guy they were going to get. If they were young or old, slightly poorer or rich as fuck, but they would find that out soon themselves so there was really no point.

When they got to the room Adriana yawned, she may have been asleep since she got here yesterday but that didn't mean she couldn't still be tired. By the time she sat down at the table in the room five other girls filed in chatting happily together. Two minutes later another four girls had come in making the group of twelve complete.

As soon as they walked in and took a seat the doors slammed shut, she looked at the time, it was exactly 5:50. "Well it looks like everyone is here, good, we can begin then." Everyone jumped as they turned to a guy who seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. Adriana almost laughed; they didn't notice him behind the door? Sure it was creepy but there was no other way in or out of this room, or so she thought.

"Welcome everyone to the two hundred and fourteenth Mating Games." He said with a deep voice that seemed to travel through your very soul. "Now, to begin I hope you all brought your lunches. Some girls manage to hide until then but not many, some potential mates here today are very talented trackers in their packs, there's even a councilman who's joining us today."