Chapter 24 - Misaki

"Misaki, you are back. It's good to see you once more dear," an old granny said warmly from her place at a makeshift fruit stall. Misaki smiled in response. "Same to you too granny, I hope your back is well?"

"Much better now, thank you. It was thanks to your help with the fruit wagon that this old body made it back in one piece," the granny said. "Would you care for some fruit?"

"I will pick it up later granny. I'm with a few guests today," Misaki responded cheerfully, as Zenvix and his retainers surveyed the humble house presented before them in one of Ceil's residential districts. The fruit stall laid opposite Misaki's home and along the well-beaten path, numerous citizens are spending their afternoons browsing the wares of various other stalls erected neatly in a side-by-side fashion.

As the prince reflected on their short journey to Misaki's home, he couldn't help but wonder at the drastically different responses they received during their walk here. As opposed to the attitudes of respect and subservience that Zenvix received during their stay at the guest tower, these were much, much less welcoming.

"Make yourself at home. There are cushions by the table over there, have a seat," Misaki pointed, taking her imposing coat off and hanging it by a peg on the wall. Opposite the table, there was a display stand lying just below a portrait depicting a small pink-haired girl, and a man with raven hair tied back in a ponytail. He sported a masculine chiselled jaw, sharp eyes, and a muscular upper body that was bare, save for the robe hem which clothed his bottom-half. To the right where the living room opened to another space, Zenvix spied wooden dummies positioned within its pristine interior. A training room, no doubt.

Misaki set her katanas meticulously on the display stand before sitting knee-down on a cushion facing the prince and his group. "Well, if I had known that you like to stand, I wouldn't have invited you to my house. Sit." The swordswoman remarked in slight amusement, gesturing to the cushions spread around the low table.

Zenvix and his two retainers took their seats, their minds filled with questions on the happenings so far. "It was just too apparent not to ask. On our way here, there seemed to be a marked vibe of dislike in the air from the citizens we have encountered. Aversion of eyes, scurrying feet as we neared...it was almost as if we brought the plague. Is Nox so hated here?" Zenvix questioned.

"Ahhh...." Misaki spoke, her voice a notch lower than it previously was. "That would be me. It had nothing to do with you lot."

Yurisviel raised her eyebrows. "You? Why would the citizens dislike their own protector? That's like Zenvix saying he hates the moon, and the sun is now his new best friend." The prince resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "The moon spirit, Kush'tar," he corrected.

Misaki smiled gently, but in that smile, Zenvix thought he saw a passing shadow of melancholy. "Look at me. What do you see?" She asked.

Startled a little by the sudden question, Zenvix peered closer at the lady. Misaki sported a chin-length bob hairstyle that was hued in a vibrant cherry blossom pink. It further accentuated the shade of her eyes ‒ a pretty scarlet lustre. Apart from a well-honed body which even Yurisviel would approve of, the only other distinctive trait would be her strange attire. Seeking to stay polite, the prince uttered, "Well...erm...you have short pink hair, scarlet eyes, a well-trained physique....you are a strong warrior I suppose..." His voice trailed off to nothingness, avoiding the topic of her garments for now.

Misaki laughed. "Well, that was refreshing to hear. I assure you that the typical citizen's true thoughts about me wouldn't be that simple. You see me for the human that I am, just like yourself. They saw me for the monster they think I will be," Misaki said simply.