He was right, I knew he was right

"Okay," I nodded, "Please be safe Grey. Please, I don't know what I'd do if-"

He kissed me, cutting me off, "I'll be fine. This will all be over before you know it. Okay?"

I nodded and got off the elevator and watched the doors close, keeping my eyes on Grey until I couldn't see him anymore.

I turned around and immediately felt my cheeks go red. I had forgotten there were other people here who had just witnessed Grey and I's little show. My immediate instinct was to lower my head and avoid eye contact and slink off to a corner to await Grey's return but then I remembered that I'm Luna. I looked around, meeting everybody's eyes until they all returned to whatever they were doing before.

This space had been the final project of the pack in preparation for the war. It was below the packhouse basement - which is where the elevator would take you if you didn't have the password - and was everything-proof. They had specifically worked on coating the walls with something that would block even the most powerful werewolf nose from catching even a whiff of us.

Then food had been brought down; enough to last a few weeks (Grey promised me that was just a precaution), chairs, a few mattresses, even a tv had also been brought down. We were to be as comfortable as possible while we waited for our brave strong men to come back from war. The thought made me roll my eyes.

Some children were gathered in front of the tv now, a cartoon having been put on to distract them. Some women were sobbing quietly, some were having conversations with their friends and some were just sitting quietly, staring into space. I decided to join the latter, choosing an armchair in the corner and staring into space.

* 2 days post-war *

A white coat dashing past the open kitchen door caught my attention, making me pause my story-telling.

The pack doctor!

I ran after him, "Doctor, doctor! Please talk to me, what's the situation now?"

Without breaking his stride, he gave me the same reply I'd been hearing from everybody for the past two days, "We're still working on it Luna. Please be calm"

I grabbed his arm, forcing him to stop, "Calm? Calm?! How do you expect me to be calm when you people aren't giving me any answers?! You've spent the last two days holed up in that room. Don't talk to me about being calm!"

He gently pried my fingers off him, "With all due respect, Luna, your hysteria isn't helping anybody. If you would excuse me, we're losing time"

My shoulders fell as I watched him walk away, his steps long and hard. I returned to the kitchen where the man was still sitting, his cup of coffee untouched next to him.

I took my seat opposite him.

He let a minute pass, "Would you like to continue?"

No.

But I did.

*** Back to present ***

There was no clock in that room. And it was done on purpose. I had no idea how long we'd been there but it felt like days.

More realistically, probably just a few hours.

I was getting ansty.

Most of the children had fallen asleep by now. I envied them, I wish I could just sleep and wake up and Grey would be back, unharmed.

Suddenly my heart squeezed. That's the only way I can describe it. It felt as if somebody was holding my heart and squeezing it. Immediately, I knew it had something to do with Grey.

I needed to get out of there.

I ran to the elevator and pressed the button several times but nothing happened. Then I noticed the keypad above the buttons.

Shit.

"Luna? What are you doing?"

One of the women, Annabelle, had gotten up and was now standing behind me.

"I need to get out of here"

"Luna, it's not safe"

"Uh-huh, yeah" I blocked her out. I needed to figure out what the password was. It was my mate who set it, I ought to be able to figure it out.

When we were getting on earlier, I'd seen him enter the last digits which were 01.

Annabelle was saying something but I wasn't listening.

I slowly typed in 2601 and held my breath. I didn't know what would happen if a wrong code was entered.

The pad beeped and the doors slid open. My heart fluttered, he used my birthday. I needed to find Grey.

I rushed in, pressing the button for going up.

Annabelle was still saying something as the doors slid shut.

I needed to find Grey.

Vote and comment! 💕