chapter fifteen - a quaint farmland

Start from the beginning

"Oh, no. He's about to run into th-"

Sophia's cry faded far away. All that was left was Lucas, the field, a sky that was too blue, and hey, is that a wall-?

Yeah, it was a wall.

And it was a wall that Lucas had just run into.

✦✧✧✧✧✦

"I tried to tell him..."

"I think some seawater is clogging up one of his ears. He wouldn't listen to anything I had to say either."

"Nah, I think that was by choice."

"Wha-?"

The amount of times Lucas had lost consciousness within the past week was just sad. He should probably see how he stacked up against Linkin once they met up again at the end of the month.

"Thanks for checking on him for us," Lucas heard Jalen say.

"No problem," an unfamiliar voice said. "We need to be prepared for accidents and such here on the Yellow Plains."

Lucas decided to finally open his eyes. He seemed to be in some sort of building made of stone. Off to the side, there was a stone oven, and some baking utensils covered in flour were strewn across the counter. A circular baking tray was hung up on the wall next to shelves holding up wooden bowls. The room he was in was illuminated by the wide-open window, giving view to acres and acres of crops swaying in the light breeze.

Out of nowhere, Lucas felt an imprudent finger poke his forehead. He looked up to be met with glasses-framed chestnut brown eyes. "I think the wall-blind idiot is awake now."

Lucas swatted that person away and sat up. He found that there was only two people in the room he didn't know: The person who poked him and a yellow plaid-clad man also in glasses.

"Rise and shine, Sleeping Beauty," Sophia jeered.

"Ha, ha." Lucas held out his hand to the man in yellow. "I'm Lucas."

"I'm William." William shook Lucas' hand. "But you can just call me Will."

"And you can just call me Pine," said the other stranger. "Do you want some bread? I told Will not to bake so much, but here we are." They gestured to the messy kitchen.

"Hey, it ended up working out in the end. Look at all our new guests."

"Do you not have many people pass by here?" Jalen asked.

Pine shook their head. "It's for the best. Don't want some military ass-hats coming by, seeing how everyone here is Gifted."

Lucas smiled tightly at "military ass-hats", but after hearing "everyone here is Gifted", he look to Jalen. "Did the scales not start glowing?"

"They did! That's what I was trying to tell you!"

"Oh."

"You guys must be pretty far away from other people, then," Sophia said to their hosts.

"Yeah, we usually just send Will to teleport to a town a few hundred kilometres away from here if we need anything the farm can't provide."

"You can teleport?" Jalen asked Will.

"Only to places I know of and have yellow. Which is pretty convenient here."

"You must really love yellow."

"Funny you should say that..."

Someone knocked on the door. "Pine? Will? Are you in there?"