Huntsman's pair of dice

It was just another day at Beacon. Some students were screwing around, some were learning new fighting techniques, some were learning about the grimm, some were learning about law and order, some were learning teamwork, and so on.

And Derieri was learning the alphabet.

Not the noblest goal, but simply being able to process information around her is more useful than not. Besides, she already is stronger than anybody in the school, and learning anything else except fighting does require reading. But, it was getting pretty stale.

"Hey, Deri!" Although stale might be better than whatever Nora has thought of. There had been times when even Ren couldn't stop her nonsense.

Nora swiftly jogged over to Derieri, Ren soon behind her, but she didn't seem to have any plans this time "What happened at the detention with Oobleck?"

Derieri guessed that Nora wanted to talk about something, but that's a bit random topic "Nothing. Why?"

"Ever since that detention, our fearless leader-"

"(Bullshit.)"

"Has been coming back late, he has even been spending his time with Cardin and his team, more so than ours!" Nora was distraught and sounded to be exaggerating, but Ren confirmed what she said with a nod.

"It's true. As Jaune wouldn't tell us and Pyrrha said she doesn't know, so we thought you might know something."

"Nothing happened during the detention."

The answer wasn't satisfactory to Nora thought "Awww, com'on! There's gotta be something!" She wasted no time getting needlessly close. So much so, that if it was someone other than Derieri they would have hurt their forehead.

"It's not my place to tell you. Jaune either grows a pair of balls and tells ya or he won't, so calm your ass."

Reluctantly Nora complied, and they sat down. Ren seemed happy to sit down, running around trying to keep up with Nora was tiring undoubtedly. As Derieri returned to her studies, Nora and Ren took a long look at her book

"Are you reading ABC?"

"Yes. I... Didn't really have time for reading before I had to leave home." Derieri didn't like the fact that even more people knew. But it was best to tell them now, as Nora wouldn't let it go until she did, and she trusted that Ren would remain calm and quiet about it. She liked that about him, almost reminding her about Monspeet. The one who would remain calm and take care of his partner...

Derieri was surprised when after few seconds, neither of them said anything. Taking her eyes off from the book, she got a clear look at them both; their faces had somber expressions, and their eyes were directed to the floor.

"I'm sorry. About your home I mean. We have been through the same." Ren was quiet, and his tone weary. Derieri was surprised, seeing not only Ren, but also Nora, possibly the loudest person she ever met, reduced to a quiet, scared child. Whatever happened to their home, still had a strong effect on them.

Derieri was not one to comfort others, but didn't like seeing them like this either "Yeah yeah, can we just, not, talk about it?"

Ren and Nora both looked thankful for it, and so they dropped it. Ren was glad to teach Derieri about the language, even if Nora didn't approve. But, at the end of the day, all three of them felt closer and understood each other bit more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The school trip was starting off nicely. A forest that seemed to be forever in the fall season, was rather intriguing. Sure, it wasn't as massive nor beautiful as Fairy King's Forest, but seemingly being frozen in time to one season was unique.

"Yes, students, the forest of Forever Fall is indeed beautiful. But we are not here to sight-see. Professor Peach has asked all of you to collect samples from the trees deep inside this forest, and I'm here to make sure none of you die while doing so."

Professor Goodwitch was really starting to annoy Derieri. It felt degrading, when she put her in the same group as the human children. Sure, officially she was a human child herself too as far as she knew, but it didn't make her feel better about it. Maybe she should show some of her power in combat class, to correct the professor's views.

"Each of you is to gather one jar's worth of red sap. However, this forest is full of the creatures of grimm, so be sure to stay by your teammates. We will rendezvous back here at 4 o'clock. Have fun!"

"Yeah, waiting by a tree for an hour, fun indeed..."

"Don't be a killjoy Derrierie! We're free to do whatever we want while waiting for the jars to fill up" Yang was as optimistic as ever, and her sister seemed to agree. On the other end, someone who was ordinarily optimistic and cheery, wasn't behaving ordinarily.

Derieri knew what Pyrrha was worried about, but decided not to worry herself with it. But if Jaune's fuck-up was gonna affect his team or other teams, then she would personally beat his ass.

Derieri was right, it was boring. She would be fast asleep, if she knew that Jaune wouldn't fuck something up. Seemed she made a right call staying awake, as Jaune was about to throw a jar of sap at Pyrrha. "(Eh, he'll probably just miss.)"

To Derieri's surprise, Jaune decided against it, even if team CRDL wasn't happy with it "(Huh, guess he did grow a pair...)"

Derieri was expecting to hear royal beating accompanied by cries of pain, but instead she saw a bright light. No one else seemed to notice it though. Grimm's roar could be heard and soon after team CRDL without Cardin came running "Ursa! Ursa!"

"I knew you guys were pathetic, but running away from one grimmy bear while there were five of you?"

"Yang, you and Blake, go get professor Goodwitch!"

"What do we need Goodwitch for, there is only one-"

"You three, go with them! There could be more!"

"No, there's one we- and they are gone..." Derieri didn't know whether to be impressed by their coordination skills, or their ability to exaggerate threats. Seeing nothing better to do, Derieri followed Ruby, Weiss, and Pyrrha.

Four of them got there right in time to see Jaune actually doing something! Weiss was about to go and help, but Pyrrha stopped her.

Jaune seemed to be doing well alone, dodging and defending from ursa's attacks, slicing it with his sword. Hell, if he had help from even one of those pussies, it would probably be dead already.

As the grimm rushed against Jaune, he stood his ground. With one precise shot from his pistol, Jaune disoriented the ursa, before beheading it with his sword.

Even if neither of them said anything, Derieri and Pyrrha both knew that this victory meant much for Jaune going forward. With one eye contact, they made a deal of not talking about these events any further in the future.

Jaune was beginning his journey towards becoming a huntsman, this time with an actual teacher.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AN: again, shorter pretty much the same to canon - chapter.  But as said, a lot of things cant really be changed.

But at least some reltionships got developed a bit, so thats somehting!

And I also foreshadowed the next chapter a bit, if you can guess what it is, then congrats

Also, chapter title has two references: musical and symbolical (Yes, im proud of myself, if I can take the trash out I bring out the cake)