FIFTY - TWO

It'd been a month since Luna and Carl had found out, a month since they'd returned from the Hilltop, and they still hadn't told anybody

It'd been a month since Luna and Carl had found out, a month since they'd returned from the Hilltop, and they still hadn't told anybody. It's not that they didn't want to-it was that they'd never found the right moment. Two days after they'd gotten back, Luna was gonna tell Michonne-but Judy saying her first word out the blue completely distracted them both. A few days later, Carl was gearing up to tell Rick as they were looking over Deanna's old blueprints for Alexandria's expansion when Tara finally returned from Oceanside-with guns, and a few people. Their next opportunity arose when Luna was on guard at the gate and Rosita had come up for shift change. She was just gonna blurt it out, but Rosita spotted one of the Scavengers in the tree line watching them. Most of the community spent the rest of the night either on lockdown or combing the woods, finding nothing.

Every time they saw their chance, they were interrupted. It was getting to the point of exhaustion for both of them-knowing that the longer they didn't say anything, the more it would seem like they had been trying to hide it after all. Though, Luna wasn't really convinced that they all didn't know already. Between Michonne's knowing glances, Rosita's offers to take over more of Luna's guard shifts, and even Daryl offering to go out and get her things-to which he'd just shrug off any questioning-it was driving Luna near insanity. It didn't help that Carl treated her differently now too, more delicately. He never had before, and it wasn't unnoticeable either.

When she'd woken up this morning, Luna glumly assumed today would be no different. Either there wouldn't be a good moment, or she'd get interrupted by some bullshit. However, that wasn't the case-but Luna was desperately wishing it was. Rosita had forced Luna to let her take over an afternoon shift, and Michonne had shooed her out of the house because it was nice outside, so there Luna was-sitting in front of Eugene's cell door. She thought that starting with Eugene would be a good idea. Over the months he'd been locked up, she was surprised to find herself becoming better and better friends with him. She hadn't known much about him before the war, but afterwards she'd thought she hated him. In reality, he wasn't all that bad, he was just a coward.

"Luna?" Eugene's voice drew her attention from where she'd been staring a crack in the wall. She hummed a response. "Why did you come to see me?" His question caught her completely off guard. "I-I mean, not that I don't appreciate it. But no one ever comes here during the day-not unless they're bringing me food."

"Well uh..." Luna's brain was scrambling to come up with some kind of explanation. Something, anything, other than the truth. "I just thought you might be lonely." She shrugged. "And after Rosita kicked me off of guard duty for the rest of the day, and no one else needed help with anything, I thought coming to see you would be the best use of my time." She hoped that he'd believed her words. "It can't be that fun sitting down here by yourself all day everyday."

"Imprisonment and punishment aren't supposed to be fun." He replied, and she sighed lightly.

"You know you don't have to stay down here." She reminded. "I just talked to Michonne a few hours ago, we all agree that you can come back whenever you want."