THIRTY - ONE

Negan pulled open the truck door and Luna looked at Carl, wanting to say something but she couldn't find her voice

Negan pulled open the truck door and Luna looked at Carl, wanting to say something but she couldn't find her voice. Carl sat up from the gravel as Negan picked Luna up and put her in the truck, and Luna could hear Carl call out her name as the truck door slammed shut. The drivers side door opened and Simon climbed inside, leaving Luna sitting between him and Negan. Luna looked in the side mirror as they started to drive away, watching Carl fade into the distance before the trees blocked her view. She sat back against the seat, her eyes focusing on the dashboard. After a few moments, she felt Negan shift in his seat next to her.

"What happened to you, Lu?" Negan asked. "Where did you go?" Luna didn't answer, her hands clutching together in her lap. "Hey, you gonna answer me?" Luna still didn't speak. "What's wrong with you?" This made her react, turning to look at him with tears pooling in her eyes once again.

"What's wrong with me?" She asked, her voice breaking. "You...you murdered..." She couldn't finish her sentence, turning face ahead again as she tried not to cry.

"Oh, come on Lu." Negan sighed. "It wasn't anything personal, just business."

"Business..." Luna breathed. "You're insane."

"Insane? You know what's insane?" Negan's tone raised. "That prick leading a fuckin' raid on my people and slaughtering them in the middle of the night. That's insane. What's not insane is retaliating when some lunatic kills 50 of your people, good people."

"They were good people!" Luna argued. "Abraham a-and Glenn. They were better than good, they were great." Her arms wrapped tightly over her chest now, and she stared at the floor. "They were family."

"Family." Negan scoffed. He reached over, grabbing Luna's chin and making her look up at him. "We are family, you and me. That doesn't include anyone else." Luna pulled herself free, looking back at the ground. Negan sighed, putting a hand on the back of her neck. "Listen." He started, his voice low as he moved closer to her. "You're emotional right now, I get it, but you best get your act together before we get back home." She swallowed hard, biting the insides of her cheeks. "Because whatever this shit is will not fly, got it? I didn't raise you to be like this."

"You didn't raise me." She retorted. "I raised myself."

—————

Luna stared out the window, down towards the gates of the sanctuary. They had walkers chained up or stuck through with spikes in front of the gate, making it near impossible to get through without a vehicle. It'd been five days since she'd arrived, five days since she'd felt safe. She knew Negan wouldn't do anything to her, but everyone back home wasn't as secure as she was. He could go there and kill anyone at any time, and she was already hyper aware of that. Any time she argued back, or glared at him, he'd threaten to-and that was already breaking her resolve.

She knew Daryl was being kept in the basement in a cell, but she couldn't get to him. Her "apartment" was constantly locked from the outside, and the only times she left were when Negan came and got her. She'd been trying to come up with some kind of plan on how to get out, but she could only think of one thing that might work, might get her enough freedom to where she could rescue Daryl and they could escape. The sound of the lock clicking on her door brought her out of her thoughts and made her turn around. Unsurprisingly to her, Negan walked inside.

"Lu, I'm headin' out." He said, the door being pulled shut behind him. "Gonna go pay Rick a little visit."

"But it hasn't been a week." She said, and he chuckled.

"What? You think I'm gonna kill someone else?" He asked, walking over to her. "How many times do I have to tell you, Lu? It was just business. Nothing more, nothing less. So unless someone gives me a reason, no one else has to get hurt." Luna stared at the ground for a moment before nodding.

"Okay." She swallowed, looking up at him. "I just...I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"And they won't, so long as they listen to me."

"I know." She nodded. "I...I'm sorry." Negan let out a breath, setting the bat against the wall before moving closer, putting a hand on Luna's shoulder.

"I know you are, baby." He said. "I know you are. Now I'll be gone for a couple days, but when I come home, can I expect you to be better? Hmm, will you act like my daughter again?" Luna nodded, looking down. "Good." He leaned over, kissing her forehead. "I love you, Lu."

"Love you too, dad."