TWENTY - TWO

Luna was watching a group of the invaders down the street as they were taunting an Alexandrian she didn't recognize

Luna was watching a group of the invaders down the street as they were taunting an Alexandrian she didn't recognize. The woman was obviously terrified, trying to run in every direction to get away-but it was to no avail. Finally, just as they were closing in on the woman, Luna heard a loud crash, and then a loud, blaring horn started. Her head whipped around, but she couldn't see where the sound could be coming from. She sighed, pushing one of the windows open and climbing out onto the roof. She stayed low, crawling up the roof and craning her neck over the top. She could just barely see the top of a semi truck cab against the wall, smoke rising from it. The horn suddenly stopped, so Luna slid back down the roof. Just as she neared the window, a gunshot rang out and she felt it fly past her before hitting the roof next to her head. She turned, seeing one of the invaders next to a dead Alexandrian, holding their gun.

Panicking, she rushed back to the window, throwing herself through just as another bullet wizzed past her, smashing though the bedroom wall. She heard something break out in the hallway as she scrambled to her feet, crouching below the window. She pulled out her gun, taking a few deep breaths before peeking over the windowsill. The invader was still aiming at the house, but not at Luna. They were aiming towards the porch.

"Ron, come on!" Luna heard Carl yell. Her eyes widened, realizing what the invader was aiming at. She quickly stood up, pointing her gun and emptying the magazine towards the invader. She missed a fair amount of times, but hit enough to make them go down. She quickly shoved her pistol back into the hostler, running to Judy's room. Thankfully nothing had ricocheted inside, and she was completely unharmed. It took Luna a few minutes, but she was able to get Judy to go back to sleep. After she was sure Judy would stay asleep, she hurried downstairs.

"What happened down here?" She asked, finding Carl standing in the kitchen, leaning against the counter. "Where's Enid?"

"She left." Carl sighed, sliding a piece of paper towards her. "Snuck out."

"Just survive somehow." She read, before looking back at him. "How'd she leave without you realizing?"

"I dunno." He sighed. "I'm worried, Lu. She can take care of herself but...she doesn't have a gun, and those people won't stop."

"I know." She nodded, biting her lip. "But she did say she'd climb the wall, right? Maybe she got out."

"Still, that means she's out there alone!" He exclaimed, pushing off the counter. "She'll die."

"I'm not saying she won't I'm saying maybe those people won't be the ones to do it." Luna said. Before Carl could speak, the timer began to ring loudly, making them both jump. Carl turned it off and took Carol's casserole out of the oven.

"I saw that one you took down." He said, turning back towards her. "I didn't see them till you started firing. So thanks, for saving my life."

"Again." She smiled lightly, moving over to him and putting her arms over his shoulders. "And I've already told you, stop thanking me when I save you. You are everything to me, I'm not just gonna let you die."

"And you're everything to me." He said lightly, leaning down and kissing her. A sound on the porch made them pull away, and Carl started towards the door with his gun. Luna followed, knife in hand, though she put it away when she saw Carl relax as he peaked out of the curtain. "It's Morgan." Carl unlocked the door, pulling it open. "Is it over?"

"I think so." Morgan nodded. "Who's here?"

"Just us and Judy." Carl said, and Morgan nodded.

"I'd stay inside, just in case." Morgan said. "There could still be some hiding."

"Do you need help, clearing places out?" Luna asked.

"No, no you stay here." He shook his head. "I'm gonna go check houses, I just wanted to...to check in."

"We're fine, here. No one got in." Carl said. Morgan nodded before turning around and moving down the stairs. Carl shut the door, sighing.

"I'm out of ammo, by the way." Luna said, following him into the living room and plopping down on the couch next to him. "Not a good shot from so far with a pistol, I guess." Carl snorted, putting a hand on her leg.

"Maybe I can give you some training sometime." He said, and she smacked his chest. "Ow!"