Chapter 10 : Protection

Start from the beginning

Y/n felt her heart break, listening to his pained voice, turning her head slightly and closing her eyes.

"Isaiah..." Sam tried softly.

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" the man suddenly yelled, making both Sam and Y/n slightly jump in their spots. Bucky immediately turned away to head for the door, pulling Y/n along with him. They were quickly ushered out by the teenage boy, soon taking to the streets.

"Sam-" Bucky started, walking quickly to catch up with him.

"Why didn't you tell me about Isaiah? How could nobody bring him up?" Sam cut in angrily, pointing aggressively, while Bucky and Y/n walked over to his side.

"Sam...please, calm down," Y/n sighed softly, still trying to wrap her head around the fact that she was even there in the first place while Bucky stayed silent, unable to answer his question.

"I asked you a question Bucky," Sam reminded, completely disregarding Y/n.

"I know," he answered.

"Steve didn't know about him?"

"He didn't. I didn't tell him."

Y/n noticed a cop car around the corner from them, slowly stopping as they noticed the group on the street, arguing.

"Shit. Guys, stop," she warned, looking up between the both of them.

"So you're telling me that there was a black super soldier decades ago and nobody knew about him?"

"Guys-"

The siren from the car blared when the group came to a stop in the middle of the street. They turned their heads towards the sound, the cop car now next to them as Y/n sighed.

"Hey!" the cop said as he and his partner exited the vehicle.

"What's up man?" Sam asked, holding his right arm out, still annoyed.

"Is there a problem here?"

"No. We're just talking."

"We're fine," Bucky answered.

"Nothing's wrong, just back off," Y/n replied, already knowing where this was headed.

The cops came over, examining Sam before one of them asked, "Can I see your ID?"

"I dont have ID. Why?"

"Man, seriously," Bucky commented in irritation.

"I said back off. He doesn't have to give you shit."

"Look, just sir- just calm down," the officer said, holding his hand out in front of him as if that was going to deescalate the situation.

"I am calm. What do you want? We're just standing here talking," Sam replied, clearly annoyed.

"Just give him your ID, so we can get the hell out of here," Bucky said, gesturing towards the cops, but both Sam and Y/n spoke over him.

"He doesn't have to do anything. Nothing's wrong," Y/n defended, stepping slightly in front of Sam in a protective stance.

"No, I'm not giving him shit, we're just talking."

"Hey, hey. Look, is this guy bothering you?" the officer asked, his hand still out as he looked between Y/n and Bucky, making her roll her eyes at him. Both Bucky and Y/n spoke over each other.

"Are you fucking kidding me? You racist assholes. No!"

"No, he's not bothering us. Do you know who this is?" Bucky asked, his voice rising as he gestured towards Sam.

"He's one of the Avengers," the officer's partner muttered into his ear, making the man look at Sam in shock as Y/n rolled her eyes again in disgust.

"Oh god. I am so sorry Mr Wilson. I- I didn't recognise you without the goggles. I'm really, really sorry about this."

"So you instantly treat him with newfound respect just because he's an Avenger? What if this had been anyone else from around this neighbourhood? Huh?" Y/n questioned with anger, glaring at the officer before another cop car pulled up at the scene.

"Oh what the fuck now?" Y/n groaned in annoyance.

"Guys ehh, just- just wait here, ok?" the cop said awkwardly, walking away to figure out what was happening.

"I'm sorry Sam," Y/n muttered, turning around to face him as he looked down.

"I didn't- I didn't tell anybody because he'd already been through enough," Bucky whispered to Sam as he responded with silence, slightly shaking his head.

"Mr Barnes, there is a warrant out for your arrest," the officer said when he came back, making Y/n's eyes widen slightly.

"What did you just say?" she asked, pointing her finger at him aggressively.

"Look, the president pardoned him for all of that," Sam explained calmly, gesturing towards Bucky.

"Not for that. You missed your court mandated therapy. It's like missing a check in with your PO. I'm sorry Mr Barnes but you're under arrest," the officer said, making Bucky sigh softly, taking a step forward.

"Hey wait, this is what this is about? Therapy? That's bullshit," Y/n stepped in, sliding in front of Bucky to stop him.

"Y/n, it's fine. Just let me go and I'll see you guys later," he assured, making her turn back to him, looking up at him with concern as he gave her a small and quick smile of reassurance.

Y/n hesitated before stepping to the side, letting Bucky walk over to the car where he was handcuffed.

She had a straight face as she clenched her fists tightly, watching Bucky glance over to them, shaking his head before slipping into the back of the car.

Sam and Y/n stood in silence, watching the car leave with Bucky as she sighed.

"You ok?" Sam asked her, making her turn around slowly, nodding.

"You?"

He gave her a quick nod, turning back to look at Isaiah's house before beginning to walk away.

"Where are we going?"

"To get Bucky."