Cameron had punctured the barrier that was supposed to protect us.

'Their little tricks won't work on me.'

I sat upward in my seat when Dad placed his hand on my shoulder.

"What do you know?" he asked.

"They... They wanted to spy on us," Oliver spoke on my behalf. "They wanted Jaden's gift. Someone failed to get Arch's gift. Someone called... Raoul?"

"Raoul?" Aadhil frowned, looking concerned. "We killed that bastard."

"Now he's a spirit."

"He was a vampire. Vampires don't have spirits," Aadhil said, and silence fell in the Hall for a moment.

"I'm... I don't know enough about spirits..." Oliver muttered. "Could be someone else."

"That doesn't answer my question," Ezra said. "Why didn't they attack us when they had the chance? Ryder could've killed Rayleigh!"

"Please, don't say that..." Ryder begged in a weak voice. "I was possessed!"

"I'm sorry..." Ezra mumbled. "I didn't mean it like that..."

There was another thing I remembered. A feeling. I turned to look at Oliver again. He stared at me in the eyes, putting my thoughts to words.

"Cameron's afraid of me," my mate spoke, sounding surprised.

"You have the power of Hades, the king of the dead," Aadhil said. "Your power is already greater than his."

Oliver seemed a bit too pleased to hear that. That was not the real Oliver. He wouldn't have cared about power.

He glanced at me, knowing exactly what I was thinking, but chose to ignore me.

"I can now protect us, but only until Cameron is free again. We need to get Hades' artifact from him," he spoke.

And mine...

"And Jaden's."

I rolled my eyes.

But why didn't they attack us? They could've filled our territory with shadows and started possessing anyone they could. All they did was to possess a group of teenagers to bully Jack, and Ryder to find our secrets. We didn't even have any secrets. We had no idea what was going on!

And if it was Oliver's power they wanted, what had stopped them from taking it already?

But... that wasn't their goal, right?

I turned to look at Oliver again and gave him time to read my thoughts. He frowned when he understood what I was trying to tell him.

"They don't want my Echo," he said. "They want me."

Cameron said he couldn't wait to see how far Oliver's corruption had spread the next time they met.

"It seems like they'd rather let the darkness corrupt us," Jack spoke with a chilly voice. "They want manpower, not tools."

"Seems like it," Oliver said with a sigh.

"That is not going to happen," my father spoke, and turned to Aadhil. "We need better protections. If you want us as your allies, you need to help me protect my people."

"We don't know our enemy, so I can't promise much, but rest assured, your territory and the nearby town are under our watch," Aadhil spoke.

"Not good enough," my father grunted.

Aadhil bowed his head a little. "I understand your frustration–"

"My beta was possessed! My son was attacked! I'm not frustrated! I'm furious! And I'm so goddamn fed up with this game of hide and seek! How can I protect my people if I can't even see the enemy?!"