"Dad," I said firmly. "Can you wait until I get home before you make any decisions, or form any opinions? Can you please just wait?"

"Well, of course," said my Dad, a hint of confusion in his voice now.

Knight's voice came from the background again. "No, tell Lena not to worry. It's okay. It won't be a problem, I promise."

Something in his voice made my throat feel thick and heavy. "I'll be home soon," I promised, and hung up the phone.

I immediately tapped out a message to Knight. Don't worry. Promise me you won't worry.

Three bubbles appeared, showing me that he was typing. But no message ever came through.

"Guys, I think I'm gonna have to head off now," I said with a sigh, as I closed the screen door behind me and tucked my phone back into my butt pocket. We weren't due to check out for another hour, but I wanted to explain to my parents in person; to advocate for Knight, before they made up their minds about the boy living in my walk-in wardrobe.

"Why?" Daria asked. She had a small frown furrowing her brow.

I hesitated. No one but Jace and Chance knew of Knight's living situation, and I knew that he wouldn't want them to either. "Family issues," I said, with a tight smile. It was hardly a lie.

Jace frowned. "Everyone okay?"

"Yeah," I said, waving off their concern. "It's all good, I should probably just run home though."

"Cole took the car," Alex reminded me. "You were supposed to get a lift home with us. It would be fine, we've just paid a deposit on a table for lunch at the Chocolate Factory." He looked apologetic.

"That's fine," I said. "I'll just Uber home."

"That would cost a small fortune!" Jace protested. I didn't want to remind him that I had enough money to cover a limousine to cart me around like Chuck Bass in Gossip Girl, because that would make me sound like a bit of an entitled wanker; it would make me sound like, well, Chuck Bass. "I'll take you."

Kaelin and Alex shared a smirk.

"It's really okay," I said faintly. I didn't know if the thought of a two hour trip in the car with Hartley made my heart soar or my stomach sink; it was a strange mixture of both. Because, well, I knew I wanted to hook up with him. We were friends, and he was good at it. But I could hardly make out with him while he was driving, and I had no idea where we stood in the spaces between kissing.

"No, I insist," he said firmly.

I looked over at Daria helplessly, but she didn't pick up on the desperation in my expression. "Is he a good driver?"

Daria shrugged. "I've never seen him drive; I always do it."

"That is not comforting."

Jace smiled comfortingly at me. "I promise I'm not worse than Knight."

At the mention of Knight's name, my stomach knotted. I imagined him sitting awkwardly in my bedroom, my parents staring down at him, uncomfortable and waiting for me to save him, to vouch for him. I looked down at my phone; he hadn't texted me.

I sighed. "Alright, Hartley, it's time for a road trip."

I said goodbye to my friends, who, by that point, had started tidying up the place for checkout. Daria blew me a kiss as I collected my bag from the foot of the steps, and Kaelin and Callie waved. The boys grunted noncommittally. Jace was already waiting in the car.

McKenna gave me a hug, as if to say goodbye. "Congratulations," she said sunnily, with a small smile.

"For what?" I asked.