Chapter 5: Pieces of the Past ❤

ABS-CBN lobby, Dec.19, 8:01a.m.

            He felt her presence before she saw her. He looked up and saw Dawn, beautiful as ever even in her plain white dress, hurrying towards him despite the 5-inch heels. As she reached him, Richard burst out laughing.

            “Hoy ano bang problema mo???! Nababaliw ka na yata ha,” she said.

            After a moment’s hesitation, he reached out for her chin. Dawn stood petrified on the spot, wondering what he’s going to do. But before she could react, he started laughing again and with a sweeping gesture he wiped the blotch of carnation pink lipstick that was on her chin.

            “Nagpapaganda ka pa kasi kahit hindi na kailangan. ‘Yan tuloy napala mo,” he said with a matching smile.

            Dawn flushed because of not being able to notice the smeared lipstick, or maybe because for a moment, she thought he’d kiss her, or perhaps because he had called her beautiful. “So nagagandahan ka pa rin sa akin?” she teased.

            “Siyempre naman! Wala namang nagbago since –”

            “Excuse me Sir, Ma’am,” the secretary interrupted. “Pinapasabi po ni Direk na male-late po siya. Urgent matter daw po eh. Sa conference room na lang po raw kayo maghintay.”

            “Sige sige, thank you,” Richard told her, and with that, she left and headed to the elevator. “Tayo na Dawn.”

            She started to follow him, but then the whole world seemed to turn before her. She held on to the wall to keep herself from collapsing. Through her blurring vision, she saw him dash toward her, and felt his strong arms as he caught her just in time.

            “Mahal na mahal kita, Emily.”         

            “Mahal na mahal din kita, Marco.”

            The infinity ring had been finally returned to its original owner. It was quite one of the highlights of the serye, ending on where it all actually started. That was the last scene they were filming together, and aching sadness filled her. She wondered if he felt that way, too. After all, eleven months of being together wouldn’t be an easy goodbye, especially if there’s no assurance that you’ll be able to see each other again.

            She tried to put everything she felt in that last hug, and as he stroked her back gently, she knew that he had understood. Natural tears welled up in her eyes, and it took a great effort to hold them back.

            “May sorpresa ako para sa’yo, Marco.”

            And then she whispered softly into his ears. Not what was really in the script – “Magkakaanak na tayo”, but instead it had been a sweet “I’ll miss you, Chard. So much.”

            “CUT!”the director yelled.

            Dawn regained consciousness. She felt an arm draped around her shoulders, and smelled Richard’s familiar fragrance, felt his steady breathing. She looked up and found his face inches away from hers, and realized that she had been leaning against him. She jerked away from him with such swiftness and force that her head started to pound.

            His eyes flew open. “Dawn!” he cried, his voice filled with worry and concern.”Ano bang nangyari sa’yo? Muntik mo naman akong patayin dahil sa pag-aalala!”

            “It was just vertigo okay? Relax ka lang,” she said, smiling. He never really changed. Still that loving, caring, thoughtful Richard whom she knew, whom she loved.

            “At nakuha mo pang ngumiti ha?” he said with disbelief.

            “Eh paano ba naman hindi ka pa rin nagbabago since you know...” Her voice trailed off.

            “Wala namang nagbago sa akin. I never changed. Neither did my feelings,” Richard said, his voice coming out in a whisper.

            “What did you say?” Dawn asked, not entirely sure if she heard him right.

            A knock on the door saved Richard from answering. He stood up and went to open it, and came back seconds after with three paper bags on hand.

            “Tadaaaa! Nag-order na ako ng food. Akala ko kasi gutom yung dahilan kung bakit ka nahimatay.”

            He carefully unwrapped the bags which revealed the luscious, sweet-smelling tenderloin, the perfectly baked brownies sprinkled with nuts on top, and of course, the tempting fruit salad. He thought she’d like it, the way he remembered the memories of their past. He chanced a glance at her, and was astonished to see an annoyed expression cross her beautiful face.

            “Richard ano ‘toh??!” Dawn asked, her voice rising.

            “Memories of our past,” he whispered.

            “Of all, bakit yan pa? Tapatin mo nga ako. Are you trying to bring back what was long gone?”

            The question struck him. “Dawn...”

            “For once Chard, answer me! Lagi na lang bang –”

            “Maybe I am!”

            If she was expecting an answer, it wasn’t that. She didn’t even know where her anger was coming from. Because he was clinging on to the impossible? Because it was hopeless even if she felt the same way? She didn’t really know. Being in the verge of tears, she stormed out of the room without saying a word.

            “Teka, Dawn yung movie natin!” he yelled after her. “Dawn....”

         It had always been like this. All he could do was to watch her walk away, never knowing the right words to say to make her stay.