5

"I just can't believe how much you've grown!" Mrs. Yang coos, waving her baby blue fan in front of her face.

Maria smiles politely despite wanting to run away. She had been stuck in conversation with the lady for the past twenty minutes, with concerns like: Have you gotten a boyfriend yet? You know, a young woman like you needs to find someone so you can be taken care of.

"Mrs. Yang, I think I need some water," Maria excuses, smiling sadly. "My throat feels a bit dry."

"Oh, of course, my dear!" the elder laughs.

With that, Maria tries to subtly walk away as fast as she can. The outdoor brunch her father made her attend was quite boring, and there was no one here she could really talk to. She felt lonely. In fact, she felt lonely at a lot of her father's events.

Thankfully, the cut on her cheek had reduced to a scab, and makeup helped conceal it. Her father spared one look at her cheek and grunted in approval when he saw the hidden injury.

Sighing, she takes a water bottle and takes a few generous sips. She hoped the brunch would end soon.

"That's a cute outfit, kitten."

Choking on her drink, Maria spins around to see Jimin walking towards her. Her eyes widened and her face grew panicked when he picked up a grape off the snack tray and tossed it in his mouth.

"J-Jimin, you can't be here!" she says, looking around worriedly.

"Why not?" he counters, a smirk on his lips. "This is a public park, is it not?"

Maria stays quiet, twisting the ring on her finger nervously. It didn't help that Jimin was looking her up and down and giving her a look like he wanted to take her away and keep her to himself. She was wearing a ditsy flower, cami dress; a baby blue summer dress with little white floral patterns.

"My father-"

"Will what?" Jimin says, stepping closer. "Throw me out? Yell at me? Trust me, kitten, I'm more than capable of dealing with him."

"You really shouldn't be here," she tries again.

"Neither should you," he shoots back.

He smiles when she's rendered speechless and holds his hand out, a silent offer, and she looks at it warrily.

"Let's just take a walk around town," Jimin says. "We'll be back."

Jimin grins when her hand slides into his palm, and he tugs her away quickly. Despite the anxiousness washing over her, she felt a spark of excitement in her heart.

"This is nice," Maria says, looking around at the shops they pass by.

Jimin squeezes her hand, looking at her. She looked peaceful now, not panicked like she was at the event.

"You look beautiful, by the way," Jimin says. "I forgot to say that when I crashed your father's fake ass event."

Maria giggles, shaking her head.

"I don't want to go back," she admits in a small voice as she stops walking.

"Then don't," he says simply, turning to look at her.

"I have to," Maria frowns. "He's probably really angry at me already."

Jimin's jaw sets, and he yanks her forward so that she's clutching onto the front of his shirt with wide eyes. "If he's mad at you, he can come talk to me. I'll deal with it."

Maria searches his eyes for a few seconds before hesitantly nodding.

"I'll see you soon, yeah?" he says softly, tucking a fallen strand behind her ear.

"Yeah," she whispers back, curling her fingers tighter into his shirt.

She didn't want to let go.