1

The banquet hall was filled with people dressed in their finest gowns and suits, along with the fakest smiles to please the others who had the privilege to attend. It was a beautiful room, with patterns of baby blue and gold swirling around the dome ceiling, and a huge chandelier that gleamed above the dancers.

It was a profit get-together, essentially. Dress up, kiss ass, and make deals to make more money. Maria would always grow bored of attending these.

Her father was currently chatting away with the mayor; something about how he's made a great change to the town and how her father was delighted to see such a brilliant man in charge. Maria had heard the same speech from her father's mouth hundreds of times, so you couldn't blame her mind for drifting away to other things.

"So, I heard you just recently spent some time helping set up another donation?"

Maria wouldn't have even realized the mayor was talking to her if it wasn't for her father's rough elbow in her side.

"Hm?"

"The donations," the mayor laughs.

"Ah, yes," she smiles—politely, of course. "It was fun to work with the other girls to set up something so beneficial."

She hates her response. Hates the fake words that slide off her tongue. But her father stood a little straighter and grinned in satisfaction, meaning she said the right thing.

"If you'll excuse me," she says, bowing before walking away. She's sure her father will scold her for it later, but she couldn't really bring herself to care. She needed to be away from him and his stupid monopoloy rules.

She found herself by the dessert bar, smoothing down her a-line, tulle long sleeve dress. It was a beautiful sky blue with a tight, lace corset that led down to the slit showing off her leg. She was definitely a sight to see.

"Hey, you alright?"

Her head flies up at the soft voice and her cheeks warm at the handsome man before her. He was wearing a dark royal suit with a white button up, but the first few buttons were undone, showing off the Chanel necklace around his neck. His black hair was styled and she spotted some various piercings on his ears, which showcased expensive earrings.

Maria felt like she was melting into a puddle.

"Yes, I'm sorry," she smiles, cracking her thumb nervously. "I was just lost in thought, I guess."

"These things must bore you too, huh?" he smiles, and her eyes fall to his teeth, where one of the front ones is a little crooked. It was cute.

"Kind of," she replies sheepishly, her shoulders shrugging up shyly.

"Me too," he laughs, shaking his head. "Everyone here is fake and acts so posh even when they aren't. I bet you half of these dresses and suits are rented."

Maria couldn't help the laughter falling past her lips. He understood her perfectly.

"I'm Jimin," he says, holding out his hand.

"Maria," she replies, placing her hand in his.

Jimin took her hand and brought it to his lips, and her breath hitched when his lips fell to her knuckles.

"I'd love to dance with you," he says, giving her hand a little squeeze.

Maria blushes, following him to the dance floor despite the many eyes hawking in on them. She didn't even know Jimin—didn't know if he would be in the opposing political party that her father would disagree with or had ties with someone her father didn't like—but she couldn't bring herself to care.

A crowd was circled around the dance floor, and even though there were other dancers, Maria felt like all eyes were on them.

"They're staring," she whispers as he slides his hand around her waist.

"Of course," he whispers back, a smile growing on his lips. "How could they not? I'm dancing with the prettiest girl in the room."

Maria blushes, hiding away in his shoulder as his other hand intertwines their fingers. Jimin didn't seem to mind, resting his cheek on her head as they gently swayed. It was, perhaps, the first time Maria had ever felt happy to attend such an event.

"I rarely come to these things," he suddenly murmurs. "But I'm glad I did."

"Yeah?" she asks softly, looking up at him.

Jimin smiles, squeezing her waist a bit before drawing her nearer. "Yeah."

Despite the judging eyes, despite her father's fuming face, they continued to dance. And as they did, Maria found herself melting more into the embrace of the stranger holding her so dear.

***

Yay chapter one ! I hope you all will like this story <3