Chapter 6 - Patrick

Start from the beginning

'We've had a request. A Canadian major has asked to come here because of a family link with the house. We've taken officers from his regiment before, but I wanted to be sure you had no objection.'

Emma glanced up and Edith asked, 'What's his name?'

'Gordon. Patrick Gordon. He was with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry at Passchendaele, caught in a blast and burned rather badly, I believe.'

'Good God.' Emma murmured, holding the book closely to her chest.

'Poor fellow. Well, he's perfectly welcome. I'm not aware of how we are connected, but you never know.'

'Sir.' Clarkson nodded and left the room.

Later that morning, Emma was helping James use a walking stick to learn to identify objects on his way at Downton. One of her tasks was guiding him around house and he was using the walking stick to help. They had been doing this exercise for a few weeks and James improving on recognising objects.

'I keep on thinking about poor William,' James said, as he ran his hand over the velvet couch in the drawing room. 'That he should be here, with Matthew and I. Although I wished he didn't jump in front to take on the full blast-'

'You were brave,' said Emma, 'You, William and Cousin Matthew were brave. But what happened has happened, and we can't change it. All we can do now is honour his memory.'

Emma settled James to sit and she sat closely and he held onto her hand.

'I can smell it, the woodfire, the smell of vanilla from the tea and patchouli... it's from you.' He said, and he smiled faintly.

'Yes. I think you know I do I like the smell of patchouli.'

'I remember you wore that in Kensington Gardens.'

Emma smiled faintly at the memory of his proposal. Oh how she wished she for time travel to live back in a simpler life...

'How are things going between you and Corporal Collins?' he asked, his eyes on Emma's warm hand with a blank look.

'I don't know...' Emma pondered, 'We haven't talked for a while.'

James exhaled and said, 'It's my fault, isn't it?'

'No,' she said, 'I think he knows you matter a great deal to me. We're friends, and friends look after each other.'

Emma said this with a heavy heart and forcing the word friends was like taboo. She chewed on her lip and clasped her hands together.

Emma had a telephone call from Violet to meet her at the Dowager House and Emma rushed there, thanks to Branson. She tried to pry him about his opinions of Sybil, but he didn't say a word. Emma admired he knew not to be pressured and thanked Branson when she arrived at the house, he replied with a small smile.

'Emma, oh, aren't you sight for sore eyes,' said Isobel, kissing Emma's cheek.

'It's lovely to see you again, Cousin Isobel.' Emma said.

Emma sat down next to Isobel as she was discussing changes for Downton Abbey.

'Oh, how right you are. That is why Downton Abbey still has such an important role to play.'

Violet sighed and said, 'Well, dear me, there's so much to be done. When you think of all the children laid up with a disease.'

'But they're making such advances now aren't they? Now, could we talk about the lecture programme for Downton-?'