𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑

A/n: Hey guys!! Sorry for updating this so late, we both were super busy! This chapter is a bit shorter than the others, which we apologize for. Hope you still enjoy the chapter! 

Play the song at the top for a better experience :)

❥❥❥

With a soft sigh, Enzo glanced at May. He debated whether this was all an act and May would hurt him again.

May, the woman who had occupied his thoughts for the past month. Over the last 13 years, he had tried to forget about her. He hadn't fallen in love again. His father ensured it until he was 18, after which his trust issues took care of the rest.

He was ready to open up about his past. The past that he wanted to believe Maylene was responsible for. It was simpler that way. It's easier to blame her.

What wasn't easy was opening up. Enzo had only opened up to 2 people his entire life: his caretaker, Lucy, and 8-year-old Maylene. He couldn't decide whether confronting Maylene after previously trusting her made things easier or harder.

Harder. He finally made up his mind, because otherwise, this silence would not occur. He would be telling her everything from the beginning. From 13 years ago.

With his sudden need to tell her everything, Enzo felt a little overwhelmed. Maybe it was her hopeful eyes, or her reassuring look, or the gut feeling he had that she was genuine.

Nobody dared to challenge Enzo. Nobody pushed Enzo to his breaking point. Nobody drove Enzo insane. Nobody. Until she appeared again.

Maylene took his hand in hers and gave him a comforting look as he began to recall their history. He didn't pull away. No, not this time. He clung on as tightly as he could because it felt right. She felt right.

Enzo cleared his throat and proceeded to tell Maylene and Lorenzo's story.

Although, he preferred it as May and Enzo.

❥❥❥

13 years ago

Today was important. Given his father's impatience and attitude, Enzo could tell. They were standing outside Mr. Mattise's house, which Enzo had been told was where the important business was being conducted.

Mr.Mattise's maid was quick to answer and let Enzo and his father in, offering a warm smile that made Enzo feel better about the evening. He was still regretful about leaving May so suddenly the last time they met. Hopefully, she had forgiven him, he thought.

It didn't take long for Enzo's father and Mr.Mattise to start a conversation that Enzo was not allowed to hear, so he was sent out. He was overjoyed because May is normally outside.

He was escorted out by the maid who had always been rather nice to him and May.

"Do you know where May is?" Enzo asked the maid while his eyes searched the garden, they found the usual spot Maylene played. However, she was nowhere in sight which worried the little boy.

"May should be out. She and Amira were playing before you arrived," The maid informed him kindly before heading back inside. Enzo wandered off to Mattise's backyard, which was huge.

He felt a smile tug at his mouth when he found a little girl sitting on the edge of the pool, whose feet dipped into the water. Her face was not visible but she had the same figure as May and wore a hat. The same hat May owned.